Artificial Sweetener and Heart Palpitations?

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit of a diet soft drink fiend, but have recently found that they make my heart race/"flutter" for a while after drinking them. I know that I should be drinking water, but Diet Coke is so lovely...

It's not the caffeine causing the reaction because it's the same with any soft drink which contains the two artificial sweeteners Aspartame and Acesulfame K. I've found one diet soft drink which has Sucralose instead and will do a test to see if it does the same thing to me.

I had a long hard talk with myself today and have bought a load of water and will limit my naughty drink to one glass a day, but I won't be drinking anything with Aspartame or Acesulfame K in it for a while.

Has anyone else had this reaction? I'm hoping it is to do with the articial sweeteners because I really don't want there to be an underlying problem with my heart. Any help greatly appreciated!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have but then I used to drink 2 litres of diet coke a day. I had restless nights and shooting pains up the side of my face from my jaw. I had the heart flutter too. My dentist suggested I cut out diet drinks and the symptoms went away. A few years later I developed a heart problem (AF) which meant my heart stayed in a flutter all the time. I don't think that was anything to do with the diet drinks though as I had given them up a few years before.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that, @zand - I wasn't far off that a while ago, but have been trying to cut down on it. I'll see what happens, but it's encouraging that someone else found the same reaction. Sorry to hear about your later heart problem though and hope you're OK now.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I'm fine now thanks. I stick to sparkling mineral water now though. :) It took me along time to give up diet drinks altogether. Good luck with this, I found it very difficult, much harder than reducing carbs!

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad to hear it. Yes, going low carbs is a doddle compared to this! (Wow, modern day problems, huh?!)