As if getting to grips with BG and cholesterol levels weren't enough ...

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been having problems with my back for about three weeks - long story short --> osteopath said ask GP to check for osteoporosis.

Blood test shows calcium is high and vitamin D is middling however if it were plain and simple vitamin D deficiency then the calcium would be low, and this would also be the case for osteoporosis.

Cue xrays of spine and a two week wait to find out the next step ...

Off to get my head round the interplay of calcium, vitamin D and calcium feedback mechanisms. I may be some time ...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I can't offer any advice but (from one back sufferer to another) you've got my sympathy.

My Mother in Law has high calcium and has been having Vit D tablets and has regular blood tests - she has also been having Vit B12 injections but I'm not sure if they are all for the same ailment. I've never heard of calcium feedback mechanisms - what are they?

Reactions: Ultramum

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Off to get my head round the interplay of calcium, vitamin D and calcium feedback mechanisms. I may be some time ...
Not just those - there's also magnesium and Vitamin K2 and lord knows what else to add to the mix :(

Reactions: Ultramum

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't offer any advice but (from one back sufferer to another) you've got my sympathy.

My Mother in Law has high calcium and has been having Vit D tablets and has regular blood tests - she has also been having Vit B12 injections but I'm not sure if they are all for the same ailment. I've never heard of calcium feedback mechanisms - what are they?

Calcium levels seem to be related to parathyroid hormone levels and calcitonin levels.

Usually a low calcium level stimulates PTH which then acts to get the calcium levels back to normal by stimulating the kidneys to use Vitamin D to increase the uptake of calcium from the intestines and also for the bones to release some calcium as well until levels get back to normal. It also stimulates the kidneys to reduce calcium excretion in the urine.

High calcium levels should stimulate the thyroid to release calcitonin which then stimulates the bones to take up more calcium and so lower the blood levels. It also stimulates the kidneys to excrete more calcium.

b05eea7484b31025d44e2a9b973cd8e7.jpg

This is the simplest diagram I have found - It seems to me that low vitamin D should lead to low calcium but if the calcium level is high then - to my mind - vitamin D supplements may not be the correct treatment. I need to do more research in case I end up with naff doctor in a fortnight.

Vitamin B12 is usually given for pernicious anaemia if that helps

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Calcium levels seem to be related to parathyroid hormone levels and calcitonin levels.

Usually a low calcium level stimulates PTH which then acts to get the calcium levels back to normal by stimulating the kidneys to use Vitamin D to increase the uptake of calcium from the intestines and also for the bones to release some calcium as well until levels get back to normal. It also stimulates the kidneys to reduce calcium excretion in the urine.

High calcium levels should stimulate the thyroid to release calcitonin which then stimulates the bones to take up more calcium and so lower the blood levels. It also stimulates the kidneys to excrete more calcium.

b05eea7484b31025d44e2a9b973cd8e7.jpg

This is the simplest diagram I have found - It seems to me that low vitamin D should lead to low calcium but if the calcium level is high then - to my mind - vitamin D supplements may not be the correct treatment. I need to do more research in case I end up with naff doctor in a fortnight.

Vitamin B12 is usually given for pernicious anaemia if that helps

Thank you for that :) I will be going through it with Mr C in more detail. From what you are saying they aren't treating my MIL properly at the moment.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for that :) I will be going through it with Mr C in more detail. From what you are saying they aren't treating my MIL properly at the moment.

I wouldn't like to comment however my osteopath said this morning that high levels of calcium in the blood are likely to be parathyroid related - that's what I will be asking my doctor about next time I see the GP.

If I discover anything more I'll post here to let you know

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis is my new label ...

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't like to comment however my osteopath said this morning that high levels of calcium in the blood are likely to be parathyroid related - that's what I will be asking my doctor about next time I see the GP.

If I discover anything more I'll post here to let you know
My mum had high calcium and was advised to avoid mineral water. Just a thought!

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had to look this up. It doesn't sound very nice. I hope the doctors can sort you out.
Painkillers only ... apparently a very slow progressive disease ... from what I've read keeping the BGs under control is probably a good idea so I found this site at a very good time

Reactions: Bluetit1802