1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Asian Flu

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by BrianTheElder, Mar 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Trouble is it takes a long time to recover and not long to die so the figures won't mean much. Also they only test those in hospital, the rest of us have no idea if we had had it and recovered or not.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GedMason

GedMason · Member

3. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

• Like Like x 1
  4. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I did see something on the news showing number of recovered people and it was slightly higher than the number of deaths, that doesn't mean 50% die, just that it takes longer to recover from the illness than to die from it. It's too early to have meaningful figures.

5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I would have thought impossible to provide genuine survival figures other than from those hospitalised. Total survival figures are the most important including those that do not get hospitalised. The ones hospitalised are the most severe cases and many of those may die because of underlying problems. The large percentage of the infected that self isolate are not included in the figures and are not included in any statistics, in any country.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

We aren't testing everyone with symptoms. I had what I thought was a normal virus. However the more I hear people speaking about their symptoms the more I wonder if I have had a mild case. I still have a dry chest and throat 3 weeks on. I will probably never know.

7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I was listening to the press conference thing on BBC News earlier. An expert said the symptoms include a fever, or a cough or both. The cough is a dry cough that lasts about an hour several times a day, or more consistent than that. It is not a wet cough that happens first thing when you get up and occasionally thereafter.

8. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I had a really sore throat and eyes like they had glass in them for 24 hours. Then 2 days well. Then I had a cough like that for 24 hours. Had to sit up to sleep gasping for air as so dry. Unlike croup, steam from a kettle did nothing to help. After that I had the mildest chest/throat infection I have ever had for a couple of days. Then the dry cough back and a wheeze. My temp was about 0.5 C higher than usual for 8 days. Tummy pains for 12 hours.

• Hug Hug x 2
    #28 zand, Mar 28, 2020 at 7:06 PM
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  9. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Pleased you got through your bug ok, Zand.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. lindisfel

It was just an observation about ventilators. I heard this piece from the States on the World Service that there was some idea one ventilator could be used for two patients.

Sorry lucy I fouled up that post it should not have been a reply to you.
    regards
    Derek

One would have thought we all have different respiration intervals.
    D.

11. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree that we aren't making too much out of this. I'm in Australia and it was only a week ago here that people started taking it seriously. Still people don't.

If we take it seriously many many people and families won't suffer whereas if we don't more people will die. These will be family, friends, the one doctor you trust, retail workers, delivery people, airline employees etc- the point is if you understand that this may kill you or possibly give you permanent lung damage then you want to take it seriously. The reason that it has spread so far is that it wasn't taken seriously at the beginning .

I hope this will spur all of us to act generally in a way that will see infectious diseases overall slow down or die out.

I also hope this will make us act with more compassion and less selfishness. The economic fallout is going to be huge and we need to look out for one another. Make sure everyone has what they need before worrying about what we want rather than need. I really hope we treat each other kindly.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. lindisfel

They gave the figures this am almost half the patients in intensive care since February have not survived.
    No reasons, no length of time in care.
    D.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

Agree with you totally. Think I can honestly say in my 51 years I have never had the Flu, even before I started getting the jab, bad colds certainly, but I think only Norovirus forced me into bed!! So Flu is certainly not as contagious as this devil of a disease as the overload in hospitals shows. You certainly don't get reports that hospitals can't cope because of the flu. I certainly didn't worry about the Flu, this one concerns me. I agree with the measures taken, albeit weeks too late. As an Island we could and should have done so much more. Quite ironic that Airlines who just let people waltz through at UK airports for weeks are now whining about bail outs. I think the country albeit a bit late are waking up to the fact it's like Russian Roulette. You could have heart disease and diabetes and walk away unscathed, but can be a 30 year old marathon runner and suffer badly. It's a lottery and that's the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook