asked for a pump

neededthat

i decided i'd like to try a pump,after reading some of the storys on here i didn't hold much hope,
anyway i had my first appointment with my consultant today after he asked abit about me i asked about the pumps, guess what? he thought it would be a good idea infact he seemed really enthusiastic about them, he told me how they worked the choice of pumps websites to look at etc etc...was asked if i'd like to talk to any one who was already on a pump which would of made the whole process longer or would i like to just get on with it, the latter we decided on (once i've decided something i want to get on with it lol.
i asked how long it would take was told i'll have a chat with the pump nurse first (who coincidently is my diabetic nurse anyway lol)then they usually start 2 or 3 who have decided on the same pump together. so im quite excited :D (easily excited these days lol)
would be nice to hear from others on how long it took them to get theres.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
hurrah! well done for speaking up and geting what you want :D start to finish for me took approx 9 months (like having a baby!) but I had to complete the DAFNE course before I could get my pump. Once the course was over and I had lived with carb counting for 6 months, it took approx 3 months from sending the letter to the PCT to actually having the pump fitted (2 week anniversary tomorrow!).

It's fab and as I was told by everyone, I haven't looked back :D it's hard work, mind!! (I'm not Welsh but my OH is and he ends sentences with 'mind' and it's contagious :lol: )

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Debloubed said:
hurrah! well done for speaking up and geting what you want :D start to finish for me took approx 9 months (like having a baby!) but I had to complete the DAFNE course before I could get my pump. Once the course was over and I had lived with carb counting for 6 months, it took approx 3 months from sending the letter to the PCT to actually having the pump fitted (2 week anniversary tomorrow!).

It's fab and as I was told by everyone, I haven't looked back :D it's hard work, mind!! (I'm not Welsh but my OH is and he ends sentences with 'mind' and it's contagious :lol: )

Is the DAFNE course one of the conditions of getting a pump then? When I was on my course, a lady who attended was due to go on the pump a few weeks later, so I am wondering if this is a pre-requisite in some health authorities.

Nigel

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
noblehead said:
Debloubed said:

Is the DAFNE course one of the conditions of getting a pump then? When I was on my course, a lady who attended was due to go on the pump a few weeks later, so I am wondering if this is a pre-requisite in some health authorities.

Nigel

Yes, it is where I live, but I have read on this forum that it's not a requirement for everyone (although how you would cope with a pump without carb counting is beyond me!)

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
noblehead said:
Carb counting is definitely a pre-requisite, and part of DAFNE I think. Some PCTs are stricter than others in terms of pump qualification. Ignoring the pump for a moment, how T1s manage WITHOUT carb counting on any kind of insulin therapy is a total mystery to me... :?

jopar

Attending and/or carb counting for a set period of time before going onto a insulin pump isn't necessary PCT's/clinics are actually pulling a fast one doing this indeed.. You can actually learn carb counting as you start pumping, it will of cause make starting pumping harder has you get your head around the new methods of doing things..

In my case it took a very frustrating long battle to obtain my pump, 2 1/2 years to get them to agree, then another 4 months before I actually got my pump... When I got my pump I didn't have a choice, in theory you should get a choice of pumps, but alas at my clinic this wasn't gonna to happen unless I intended to fight a battle longer to achieve this.. It was take the Accu-check spirit or nothing so to speak...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
kegstore said:
noblehead said:
Carb counting is definitely a pre-requisite, and part of DAFNE I think. Some PCTs are stricter than others in terms of pump qualification. Ignoring the pump for a moment, how T1s manage WITHOUT carb counting on any kind of insulin therapy is a total mystery to me... :?

Yes I agree with both you and Debloubed, I think carb counting should be at the forefront of all treatments and diet choices.

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Carbs Rock,

I know where your coming from, carb counting isn't something that has just appeared over recent years. I not had diabetes as long as you, but do remember in the early eighties that carb counting was very basic and crude. As the nutritional values were hardly ever displayed on food packaging, the method taught for example was a thick slice of bread was 20g, medium 15g and thin slice 10g, not taking into account weight or size. Another was a egg-size potato was 10g, or a hand-size portion of foodstuff was xxg of carbs.

The more recent carb counting courses such as DAFNE are far removed from this method, and rather than matching carbs to insulin, the emphasis is on matching your insulin to the food you eat.

It is sad that you had to go to such extreme methods to get a pump and to obtain the funding too.

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds like you have a good knowledgeable and understanding mum Carbsrock! :)

Nigel

iklpixi

kegstore said:
noblehead said:

Hi,
have heard you say that before - how you don't know how T1s manage without carb counting. In a nutshell, i've never carb-counted and am suffering the consequences of this now - i think...maybe it would have happened anyway but i was recently diagnosed with proliferative retinopathy and received laser treatment on both eyes. Although i've always been aware of carb counting it's never been pushed by the clinic where i live (west of scotland). I was at my annual review & asked to both be put on a DAFNE course & to have my treatment changed to a pump. They spent the next 2 hours trying to talk me out of the pump - funding cuts, pump isn't for everyone, that kind of stuff. I knew we didn't have DAFNE on offer in our local authority but i didn't realise that the nearest place to provide it (only around 20 miles away) won't take referrals from other clinics. So the outcome is I have to attend the clinic every week now to go over the principles of DAFNE myself & they haven't said no to a pump but "let's see what happens with tighter attention being paid to carb-counting".

Feeling bit desparate at the moment, i will still fight for a pump but when i read some of the other posts from you guys i can't help be totally and utterly sickened over the thought that if i lived somewhere else i'd have access to far better services. I work in the voluntary sector therefore my livelihood is based around funding uncertainties, but when it comes to my health i'm so disheartened at the lack of support for people such as myself who have 'turned a corner' and want to be proactive with my diabetes.

Sorry - rant over - i guess i just wonder if anyone out there has had a similar experience & if so how did you go about making your case? Thought i did a pretty good job of doing that - 37 year old female who would like to have another child before too late, poor control that clearly needs major improvement (HB1c 10+), recent diagnosis of proliferative retinopathy, and i'm prepared to put in the hard graft i believe comes along with a pump, no DAFNE course available (or even a permanent dietitian) & of course I JUST WANT THE CHOICE - to pump or not to pump! However, was told they had to make a strong case so not sure how bad things have to get before i would be considered a priority.

Despite my ranting, i am trying my bestest to stay positive and focussed on the challenge ahead - just wish it wasn't such a fight & the support was there. Just going to finish by saying the consultant and nurses were very nice about it, but think the system stinks... :cry: