Asperger's affecting my sugars?

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
So my sugars have been pretty okay last week or so. Today I had a proper meltdown. Like, pulling my hair, hitting my head, crying uncontrollably. It really was bad. Then when I tested an hour later my sugars had jumped up to 27. That's the highest I've been in ages. And the only thing I could think that I've done was had that melt down. It was a really bad one.

Do any aspie diabetics out there suffer the same kind of thing! What about you neurotypicals when you suffer extreme stress?im quite concerned, because I can't control meltdowns and I can't predict them. If they have this much effect on me, it's going to be a nightmare. When I'm in a melt down I lose my mind, so the very last thing I will be thinking is I'd better give myself insulin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
amberzak said:
So my sugars have been pretty okay last week or so. Today I had a proper meltdown. Like, pulling my hair, hitting my head, crying uncontrollably. It really was bad. Then when I tested an hour later my sugars had jumped up to 27. That's the highest I've been in ages. And the only thing I could think that I've done was had that melt down. It was a really bad one.

Do any aspie diabetics out there suffer the same kind of thing! What about you neurotypicals when you suffer extreme stress?im quite concerned, because I can't control meltdowns and I can't predict them. If they have this much effect on me, it's going to be a nightmare. When I'm in a melt down I lose my mind, so the very last thing I will be thinking is I'd better give myself insulin.

You're not alone..when I meltdown my sugars jump high,my meltdowns due to ASD aren't as frequent as they were when I was younger but still happen every now and then as life is still as confusing aged 37 as it was when I was 7 but I'm trying as hard as I can to lead a normal life and fit in with neurotypicals although I CANNOT face speaking on the phone,small talk is impossible and the sound from a phone ringing makes me cover my ears,anyway back on topic as I'm a bore,I believe it's the stress and 'Fight or flight' mechanism that makes us have a high reading as far as I know but science isn't my strong point.losing your mind,well,I can relate to it well

It's a real mess sometimes.

Paul

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
paul-1976 said:
You're not alone..when I meltdown my sugars jump high,my meltdowns due to ASD aren't as frequent as they were when I was younger but still happen every now and then as life is still as confusing aged 37 as it was when I was 7 but I'm trying as hard as I can to lead a normal life and fit in with neurotypicals although I CANNOT face speaking on the phone,small talk is impossible and the sound from a phone ringing makes me cover my ears,anyway back on topic as I'm a bore,I believe it's the stress and 'Fight or flight' mechanism that makes us have a high reading as far as I know but science isn't my strong point.losing your mind,well,I can relate to it well

It's a real mess sometimes.

Paul

Thanks Paul. You certainly made me feel better about it. :)

Becky

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi Becky!

Just to say I hope you're feeling better today as I always feel depressed or flat the morning after a meltdown,hope your sugar levels have got better too.

Paul

LittleWolf

Hi there. You're not the only one. I don't have so many meltdowns these days but when I do it does affect my blood sugar. Unusual blood sugars also induce anxiety in me compounded with an eating disorder. So they feed into each other..

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've always found I have meltdowns when sugars are higher than usual, rather than having a meltdown then high sugars. Am learning to recognise a meltdown coming on put a few units qa in to prevent a further increase.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
brett said:
I've always found I have meltdowns when sugars are higher than usual, rather than having a meltdown then high sugars. Am learning to recognise a meltdown coming on put a few units qa in to prevent a further increase.

Are you an Aspie too Brett?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not officially, but have many of the top 10 traits. who knows?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
brett said:
Not officially, but have many of the top 10 traits. who knows?

I wonder if type 1 and aspergers are linked in some way? I've met other Aspies and all of them had an autoimmune condition of some kind and i have several..makes you wonder sometimes. :think:

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trouble is I google too much! Have looked at many autoimmune disorders and have thought I have many if them from googling symptoms. I do believe many diabetics wil have other conditions, trying to get then "officially" diagnosed another matter.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Took me years to get diagnosed.

I know exactly what set me off. Sensory overload.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I've heard it's harder for females to get a diagnosis but I'm not sure why,I was diagnosed with Autism aged 4 and went to a special school but as I got older I realised I was higher functioning then people gave me credit for and at my request I was re-assessed as an adult an re-classified as having high functioning Aspergers although I have received no support whatsoever from any agencies and I'm left to it.
Sensory overload? yep,I know that feeling all too well and if it isn't noise then smells can set me off,I once ran out of the hairdressers because someone else was having highlights and the smell was just overbearing for me although it didn't appear to bother anyone else.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There is a shop, lush I think it's called, and it stinks. I can't stand the smell. No one else seems to worry.

There is an organisation called action for aspergers. I do a lot of voluntary work for them. I am designing their magazine. They are supportive.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
amberzak said:
There is a shop, lush I think it's called, and it stinks. I can't stand the smell. No one else seems to worry.

I don't have aspergers (some similarities though) but I can't go into lush. I struggle to even stand outside the shop! It's so intense! I end up with a headache. I've been in once in the last 5 years and I lasted less than a minute before I apologised to my friend and got out of there! So you're not alone with that one :)