Aspergers Syndrome, type II diabetic

Marrocco

Hi all

I'm a type II diabetic, with diabetic retinopathy in both eyes- and an Aspie to boot.

Really, I just want to know if anyone else has experience of this rather unpleasant combination? Makes new doctors and nurses a bit of a trial I will confess...

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Marrocco said:
Hi all

I'm a type II diabetic, with diabetic retinopathy in both eyes- and an Aspie to boot.

Really, I just want to know if anyone else has experience of this rather unpleasant combination? Makes new doctors and nurses a bit of a trial I will confess...

Not the same combination but type 1 and aspie too and hate changes in HCP's and wasn't happy when my endocrinologist retired and was replaced!

Forgot to say Hi! :wave:

Paul

LittleWolf

Hi I have Aspergers and it makes it hard to fight for treatment when I already have difficulties talking to medical professionals let alone ones who think blood sugar in the teens is normal.

I hope you are doing ok with dealing with HCPs and how the noises etc in hospitals can cause sensory overload. I'll bet you have periods of anxiety too.

Hope you have someone who can hell you manage appointments and maybe come with you in case of any miscommunication. I don't get the humor my GP uses a lot of the time despite him being fully aware I am on the autistic spectrum and don't appreciate being messed with when I'm concerned about something.

You're not alone. I think someone else started an Aspie thread only a couple days ago x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Unbeliever

I am T2have maculopathy in both eyes and my experience wih HCP's since diagnosis has been so horrific that i am currently trying to stay wih my last Dr although I now live many miles outside the Practice area and I daren't give my new address .

I have changed Dr's twice since diagnosis and each time it has taken me 3 yeears to find anyone I can trust -especially as the previous two left everything to the Practice Nurses. Drs wouldn't even speak to me about diabetes so I had to resort to all sorts of stratagems to get any sense.

I don't know how you guys with the added problems of aspergeres cope.
I just wanted to express my solidarity and complete {or as far as possible} empathy wih you

Marrocco

LittleWolf said:
Hope you have someone who can hell you manage appointments and maybe come with you in case of any miscommunication. I don't get the humor my GP uses a lot of the time despite him being fully aware I am on the autistic spectrum and don't appreciate being messed with when I'm concerned about something.

You're not alone. I think someone else started an Aspie thread only a couple days ago x

Thank you so much, and the others- this does help, believe me!

My wife takes me to and from my eye appointments and ops- I didn't drive before, and now my vision keeps changing so the last surgeon advised I shouldn't drive anyway!

Without my wife I honestly think I'd have gone insane by now with the stress and uncertainty of it all, but with her by my side I find I have just enough certainty in things that I can cope. Imagine how much I needed her when my surgery closed down, literally overnight, a few weeks back...

Ach, enough moaning. Good luck all-

LittleWolf

Good luck! And it's wonderful you have a wife who understands you and your difficulties. My mother comes to some of my appointments and I do get spoken to differently when she is there. She helps clarify things the doctor says and I ask her second opinion if I think anything said was off or not. She is the one who encourages me to call to make my own appointments and be assertive when necessary. We often need help figuring out exactly when that's appropriate!

X