1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Association between maternal gluten intake and type 1 diabetes in offspring: national prospective co

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by ringi, Sep 20, 2018.

1. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

See https://www.bmj.com/content/362/bmj.k3547

The incidence of type 1 diabetes is highest in countries following a western lifestyle and, until recently it has been increasing at a rate of 3-4% per year, especially in children below 5 years of age in Europe. This increase is faster than can be accounted for by genetic drift, pointing to the importance of environmental factors.
    Now go and read the rest of the paper for yourself.

2. ringi

3. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

So is there more gluten in modern diets compared to 50 years ago? I had sandwiches in my packed lunch as a kid....

4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

Modern wheat strains have been selectively grown to be very high gluten (at least, I remember reading that a few years ago). The high gluten content is supposedly advantageous for cooking, although I can't remember any of the details.

Edited to add:
    Although this link doesn't support that theory, and suggests that it is diet choice and an increase in wheat consumption that may be the issue
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3573730/

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #4 Brunneria, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  5. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I had brown sugar sandwiches with white sliced bread in my packed lunch when I was a kid.
    I am not convinced either have anything to do with my diabetes but it seems amazing now that anyone would consider it ... and my Mum is an amazing cook.

6. ringi

Think about how breakfasts has changed over the last 50 years........

7. ringi

If I understand it correctly that are many types of proteins in wheat and the term
    Gluten covers many of them The mix of proteins in wheet changed with selecting beading in the 1950s to increase yield.

Also I expect that children eat much the same as their mothers and that gluten intake is also predictive of other food intake.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook