Association between maternal gluten intake and type 1 diabetes in offspring: national prospective co

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
See https://www.bmj.com/content/362/bmj.k3547

The incidence of type 1 diabetes is highest in countries following a western lifestyle and, until recently it has been increasing at a rate of 3-4% per year, especially in children below 5 years of age in Europe. This increase is faster than can be accounted for by genetic drift, pointing to the importance of environmental factors.
Now go and read the rest of the paper for yourself.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So is there more gluten in modern diets compared to 50 years ago? I had sandwiches in my packed lunch as a kid....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So is there more gluten in modern diets compared to 50 years ago? I had sandwiches in my packed lunch as a kid....

Modern wheat strains have been selectively grown to be very high gluten (at least, I remember reading that a few years ago). The high gluten content is supposedly advantageous for cooking, although I can't remember any of the details.

Edited to add:
Although this link doesn't support that theory, and suggests that it is diet choice and an increase in wheat consumption that may be the issue
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3573730/

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi
D

Deleted Account

I had brown sugar sandwiches with white sliced bread in my packed lunch when I was a kid.
I am not convinced either have anything to do with my diabetes but it seems amazing now that anyone would consider it ... and my Mum is an amazing cook.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Think about how breakfasts has changed over the last 50 years........

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I understand it correctly that are many types of proteins in wheat and the term
Gluten covers many of them The mix of proteins in wheet changed with selecting beading in the 1950s to increase yield.

Also I expect that children eat much the same as their mothers and that gluten intake is also predictive of other food intake.