At 95 most of my contacts don't say much!

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi my name is Mike Wilkins and I am not 95 years young!
I have told that my blood sugar is 95; resulting in my Dr telling me that I have hyperglycemia.
I have to take two pills each day (METFORMIN)
I have found out via the internet that 48 is high but I can not find any information on 95!
Do you or your friends know what 95 means and what are my chances of reducing the hyperglycemia?

I have to go back and see my Dr in three months for more blood tests.

Thanking you in advance.
Mike

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

This is your HbA1c test result. (and I advise you to get a print out of these results from your surgery)

up to 41 is non-diabetic
42 to 47 is pre-diabetic
48 and above is diabetic.

Your 95 is well and truly diabetic!

You have every chance of reducing this, and my advice is to start now before more damage is done. Many people on here started with levels higher than 95 and have subsequently got down to the 40s and even the 30s. The Metformin will help to a small extent, but not very much. Diet is the key to control, and to help you with this you will need a glucose meter so you can learn which foods are causing these raised levels.

Read round the forums, take note of the role of carbohydrates, and read the main website from the Home tab to learn all you can about this disease and what all the measurement units and numbers mean. Meanwhile, I will tag @daisy1 who has some excellent information for newcomers.

Reactions: 12 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have told that my blood sugar is 95; resulting in my Dr telling me that I have hyperglycemia.
I have found out via the internet that 48 is high but I can not find any information on 95!
Do you or your friends know what 95 means and what are my chances of reducing the hyperglycemia?

Thanking you in advance.
Mike

Hi @MikeinWales
Welcome.
My HbA1c was 95 when I was diagnosed last year. Yes 95 is high but if you are willing to make changes it is possible to get it under control.What I did was to look at diet, weight loss and exercise.
Fortunately I was given a meter and strips as testing before a meal and 2 hours after showed me which foods I could eat and which to avoid. I would suggest you consider getting a meter and testing as I feel that was my greatest help. Plenty of people on here will help you with diet suggestions. Do read Daisy's post particularly regarding carbs,
I managed to lose well over 2 stone in weight and now have been encouraged by GP to put some back on. For exercise I walk, started with short walks and built up gradually. My last 2 HbA1c's have been 33 within the normal range and without pills. It has been and still is hard work but I think possible and worthwhile. Do ask questions.

Reactions: 6 people

Typicaltwo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Royalty, Religion, Gardening, Baking, Piston heads, vegans
I think around 100 could be classed as pre-diabetic from a fasting blood test. I find this web page has a clear description of what the numbers mean (http://bit.ly/28VIVQi )
Physically, reducing your high blood sugars (hyperglycemia) is simple enough. You just need to reduce your sugar/carb intake to a level where your readings drop to 'normal' - how hard this is depends on your love of carbs/sugar (including alcohol). It's best to start by getting a finger-prick blood glucose monitoring test kit (http://bit.ly/28VLv8I) from Amazon or your local pharmacy to monitor how different foods affect your blood sugars. Start by doing the tests 1 hour before you eat and 2 hours after you eat for comparison. You need to read up on LCHF diets (low carb high fat) as this seems the way that most people are reversing their diabetes.

Good luck.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think around 100 could be classed as pre-diabetic from a fasting blood test. I find this web page has a clear description of what the numbers mean (http://bit.ly/28VIVQi )
Physically, reducing your high blood sugars (hyperglycemia) is simple enough. You just need to reduce your sugar/carb intake to a level where your readings drop to 'normal' - how hard this is depends on your love of carbs/sugar (including alcohol). It's best to start by getting a finger-prick blood glucose monitoring test kit (http://bit.ly/28VLv8I) from Amazon or your local pharmacy to monitor how different foods affect your blood sugars. Start by doing the tests 1 hour before you eat and 2 hours after you eat for comparison. You need to read up on LCHF diets (low carb high fat) as this seems the way that most people are reversing their diabetes.

Good luck.

I think your numbers chart refers to American measurement units. In the UK with a fasting blood test of 100 you would probably be dead!

Reactions: 4 people

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Mike, and welcome to the forum. I'm sure there is every possibility of you lowering your 95 result to a more acceptable number, and, I assume, reducing the hyperglycemia in the process. If you adjust your diet, exercise, and try out some of the advice that is given in several of the forums here, you will soon find out what is right for you and your body. The thing to remember is that there is not one solution that fits everybody, so it can be a case of trial and error for a time, till you learn what works for you.

So ask away, whatever questions you have; there's always someone around who can give advice and support when needed.

p.s. I this repeats some info from others - but I'll leave it as is. Welcome, and enjoy !

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi @MikeinWales
Welcome.
My HbA1c was 95 when I was diagnosed last year. Yes 95 is high but if you are willing to make changes it is possible to get it under control.What I did was to look at diet, weight loss and exercise.
Fortunately I was given a meter and strips as testing before a meal and 2 hours after showed me which foods I could eat and which to avoid. I would suggest you consider getting a meter and testing as I feel that was my greatest help. Plenty of people on here will help you with diet suggestions. Do read Daisy's post particularly regarding carbs,
I managed to lose well over 2 stone in weight and now have been encouraged by GP to put some back on. For exercise I walk, started with short walks and built up gradually. My last 2 HbA1c's have been 33 within the normal range and without pills. It has been and still is hard work but I think possible and worthwhile. Do ask questions.
@Hiitsme thank you for this, it gives me hope and inspiration and many congratulations on your achievement. My first hb1ac result was 97, and I completely freaked when I realised just how high it was..... I am yet to go for my second, but in the last 2 months have moved to a significantly healthier (low everything) diet, and have shed 3st (18st-15st) and in the Gym / cycling / running / walking 5/6 times a week. My initial finger prick blood test having had no breakfast was 12, and this was down to 6.6 a couple of weeks ago. I only hope my results ultimately follow your example, I too am desperate to avoid medication.
@MikeinWales i think I'm only just ahead of you in getting in my head around this, and still very much terrified / worried / bewildered etc by what my future hold, and wish you the very best of luck.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
LOL .. there is hope for you - my bloods were 141% and doc wanted to admit me to hospital

A few months later and there is a drastic change :)

Welcome to the forum where there is a lot of help and encouragement for everyone

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Hiitsme thank you for this, it gives me hope and inspiration and many congratulations on your achievement. My first hb1ac result was 97, and I completely freaked when I realised just how high it was..... I am yet to go for my second, but in the last 2 months have moved to a significantly healthier (low everything) diet, and have shed 3st (18st-15st) and in the Gym / cycling / running / walking 5/6 times a week. My initial finger prick blood test having had no breakfast was 12, and this was down to 6.6 a couple of weeks ago. I only hope my results ultimately follow your example, I too am desperate to avoid medication.
@MikeinWales i think I'm only just ahead of you in getting in my head around this, and still very much terrified / worried / bewildered etc by what my future hold, and wish you the very best of luck.

Hi @Heretic1
Well done on the weight loss and I'm sure that will be a great help in controlling your diabetes. My BMI at diagnosis was only 25 but I still found losing weight really helpful. It did go down to 19.6 when my GP thought I had taken it too far so I've put a little back on but intend to keep a careful check on my weight.
Personally I found testing a very helpful tool. It showed me that I couldn't manage any breakfast cereal whereas some can. I also at the start had to cut out a lot of carbs but as my weight came down I found I could manage some. We are all different so it's worth checking to see if you can manage some of the foods you used to enjoy.
All your exercise puts me to shame but I shall keep on with my walking as that works for me.
Best wishes for your journey and hope to hear progress with your next blood test.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi @Heretic1
Well done on the weight loss and I'm sure that will be a great help in controlling your diabetes. My BMI at diagnosis was only 25 but I still found losing weight really helpful. It did go down to 19.6 when my GP thought I had taken it too far so I've put a little back on but intend to keep a careful check on my weight.
Personally I found testing a very helpful tool. It showed me that I couldn't manage any breakfast cereal whereas some can. I also at the start had to cut out a lot of carbs but as my weight came down I found I could manage some. We are all different so it's worth checking to see if you can manage some of the foods you used to enjoy.
All your exercise puts me to shame but I shall keep on with my walking as that works for me.
Best wishes for your journey and hope to hear progress with your next blood test.
@Hiitsme It is many a year since I hit the 'phys' as hard as I am doing (probably part of the reason for this god awful place I now find myself), however I'm using it to my advantage to channel the anger I now have for myself for allowing this to happen. I found it incredibly hard at first, but really pushing myself every time, and now finding I can do a whole lot more ..... Well there has to be a positive somewhere!

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @MikeinWales

I was diagnosed 2 months ago with HbA1c of 96. It was a huge shock, but I was determined not to take medication unless absolutely necessary and went down the low carb route.

From what I've read there's a good chance we can reverse this. I check my readings multiple times a day, and already I'm getting some readings in the 'normal' range. My aim is to reduce my weight to the point where my pancreas can function normally again. By no means a certainty for everyone, but I'm almost looking forward to my 3 month tests to show my GP that I can actually do this!

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

This is your HbA1c test result. (and I advise you to get a print out of these results from your surgery)

up to 41 is non-diabetic
42 to 47 is pre-diabetic
48 and above is diabetic.

Your 95 is well and truly diabetic!

You have every chance of reducing this, and my advice is to start now before more damage is done. Many people on here started with levels higher than 95 and have subsequently got down to the 40s and even the 30s. The Metformin will help to a small extent, but not very much. Diet is the key to control, and to help you with this you will need a glucose meter so you can learn which foods are causing these raised levels.

Read round the forums, take note of the role of carbohydrates, and read the main website from the Home tab to learn all you can about this disease and what all the measurement units and numbers mean. Meanwhile, I will tag @daisy1 who has some excellent information for newcomers.
Many thanks for this information. You have been of great help. Your kind words have inspired me to share with you more of my personal information. I was told be my Dr that my M.S. has affected my pancreas hence the reason for the increased insulin in the blood. I eat no processed food with sugar in it, I don't even have sugar in my tea!.. ( I know its sad!) I am hoping that the M.S. will stop messing around with my pancreas!
I will request the information from my Dr. I do not have a glucus meter as my DR told me that she wants the results back from the next blood test first. Do you think that I should just buy one now?
Thank you again for your help.
Best regards
Mike

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @MikeinWales
Welcome.
Your words have help me, its good to know that you have been able to reduce the HbA1c. With luck hard work and weight loss I hope to be able to follow your example. Thank you again, you have helped more than you know. I do not have a meter yet, do you think that I should buy one?
Best regards
Mike

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Heretic1. Congratulation on your 3 stone loss. Like you I am also at the health club only I am in the aqua class as they will not allow me to use the gym due to my condition! I will go for a review each month in the hopes that I will be able to use the gym! I must tell the truth when I say that I an very concerned regarding all the unknown dangers of this new condition. Thank you again for your words of help.
Best regards
Mike

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
LOL .. there is hope for you - my bloods were 141% and doc wanted to admit me to hospital

A few months later and there is a drastic change :)

Welcome to the forum where there is a lot of help and encouragement for everyone
Congratulations on your success. Your words have helped and for that I must thank you. Best of luck for continued improvements in your condition.
Best regards
Mike

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike

Thanking you in advance.
Mike

Hello Mike,

My reading on diagnosis was 122 - it is now 53 (just had my results back from my three monthly tests) been having a bit of trouble as I cannot tolerate metformin, but we seem to have got the medication right now and am hoping for the 40's on my next round of tests.

I have found exercise really really helpful in getting the sugar levels down and following a moderately low carb diet. I don't know how your MS is - my auntie has it and is in remission right now, but even when things were really bad she was always able to swim.

I have a blood glucose meter and find it helpful to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Try not to worry too much about the diabetes, the people on here give great advice and support. The medication will get you off to a good start and if you keep an eye on things you will get this diabetes under control. You will probably find that asyou have had a glucose level of 95 you have probably been feeling tired and under the weather - you will start to feel a lot better, very quickly.

P

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @MikeinWales

I was diagnosed 2 months ago with HbA1c of 96. It was a huge shock, but I was determined not to take medication unless absolutely necessary and went down the low carb route.

From what I've read there's a good chance we can reverse this. I check my readings multiple times a day, and already I'm getting some readings in the 'normal' range. My aim is to reduce my weight to the point where my pancreas can function normally again. By no means a certainty for everyone, but I'm almost looking forward to my 3 month tests to show my GP that I can actually do this!
Like you I was also in total shock as I tend to live a healthy life style. I enjoy eating only none processed foods, cook lots of fresh food! My pancreas started to miss fire due to my underlying condition of M.S. I will look again at the low carb route as I may be able to get it better. Thanks for the advice.
Good luck with you next G.P. appointment: mine is in two months also!
Best regards
Mike

Reactions: 3 people

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Mike,

My reading on diagnosis was 122 - it is now 53 (just had my results back from my three monthly tests) been having a bit of trouble as I cannot tolerate metformin, but we seem to have got the medication right now and am hoping for the 40's on my next round of tests.

I have found exercise really really helpful in getting the sugar levels down and following a moderately low carb diet. I don't know how your MS is - my auntie has it and is in remission right now, but even when things were really bad she was always able to swim.

I have a blood glucose meter and find it helpful to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Try not to worry too much about the diabetes, the people on here give great advice and support. The medication will get you off to a good start and if you keep an eye on things you will get this diabetes under control. You will probably find that asyou have had a glucose level of 95 you have probably been feeling tired and under the weather - you will start to feel a lot better, very quickly.

P
Hi Providence; Congratulations on your new reading of 53, with luck and hard work I hope that you make it to the 40 and below. Like your auntie I enjoy swimming and aqua in the health club. You are 100% correct regarding the effects of 95; on the good side the afternoon naps are nice!...lol
I think that I should get a meter reader, what do you think?
Best regards
Mike

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi Providence; Congratulations on your new reading of 53, with luck and hard work I hope that you make it to the 40 and below. Like your auntie I enjoy swimming and aqua in the health club. You are 100% correct regarding the effects of 95; on the good side the afternoon naps are nice!...lol
I think that I should get a meter reader, what do you think?
Best regards
Mike

Hi Mike,

Make the most of the afternoon naps, they will be gone soon!

Great news on the aqua (easy on the joints too).

I love my BG meter, I am quite geeky about writing down the results too. Doctor thinks it's hilarious. I got an SD Codefree on Amazon - very reasonable and the strips you need for tests are the cheapest. You might get a posh meter from the doctor because of your MS but normally us Type 2s have to buy our own. Personally I find the discipline useful and if my glucose goes up I can have a look at what I am eating - usual culprits for spiking my blood sugar as bread, potatoes, cakes, certain fruits and definitely sweeties! Oh yes and pastry, which is a shame because our local deli does the best steak and kidney pies in the universe.

Hope this helps,

P

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
You're getting there, Mike. It is really crucial, however, that you recognise the impact of simple carbohydrates (ie. foods with over 10g of carbohydrate per 100g of product are above what most of us would call "low carb"). It's not just the sugar - its the carbs too. Check the labels on foods and forget the sugar content - go by the carb content. Bottom line is that, put crudely, simple carbs break down into sugar in the blood and so have pretty much the same impact on your blood sugar level as sugar does. So yeah - do investigate LCHF diets. To try a quick check to see this in action - test before a bit of toast or some cereal and a couple of hours after - you'll see the spike. Some people can cope with different levels of carbs - so through testing and recording you should arrive at what suits you..and that helps the whole thing from blood sugar levels to sense of control to more optimism. I'm not saying abandon them all - but cut back where you can and drop as many as you can tolerate. Good luck