At last; a decent low-carb TV documentary!!

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was wondering why so many positive low-carb comments from Australia? An ABC Catalyst TV documentary shown a few weeks ago is the answer see
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/lowcarb/
From the length of the comments page it has really caused some interest. Have a look, I think its the best TV thing I have seen to date.

Reactions: 13 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Thanks for that - nice goldfinch in flight by the way :)

Reactions: 4 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for that - nice goldfinch in flight by the way :)
I thought it could be a good intro to the subject .
It's evidence that things really are moving towards more acceptance of this as a valid dietary choice - the stuff on running of interest to me as I have noticed I run well on this diet .

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a great video.
Very watchable, informative and debunks some of those persistent myths!
Well worth a watch.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Australia has the highest obesity rate of any other country in the world. They invented glycemic index of foods. In many ways they lead the world in obesity and diabetes research. T2 is caused by insulin resistance, created by eating too many high glycemic carbohydrates that results in to high of insulin, then insulin resistance, then diabetes

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The wife has T2 and hers is hereditary!
Nothing to do with diet and lifestyle!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love how the 2 establishment dieticians come across as defeatist and evasive. Brilliant programme!

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cause cutting carbs is good & has healthy benefits, but surly anything that involves cutting sugar intake in any form will have great health benefit. Sugar is bad, yet the food industry increase it not cut it as much as it should, while reducing fat content in thinking this will help weight loss for one. It's all back 2 front if you ask me from what I have learned since being diabetic. It's CRAZY.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Southport GP

A good link.
It certainly opens with a bold claim

'If you followed this diet, we could reverse obesity and type 2 diabetes.'

I watched it, and can't actually see any follow up that diabetes was reversed, in a manner similar to that shown by Prof Taylor, where the patients returned to normal eating.
It seems a missed opportunity with the amount of trialling of the diet they have.

What are your thoughts as to organising a clinical trial, albeit on a small scale, and publishing a paper on the long term results?

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Cause cutting carbs is good & has healthy benefits, but surly anything that involves cutting sugar intake in any form will have great health benefit. Sugar is bad, yet the food industry increase it not cut it as much as it should, while reducing fat content in thinking this will help weight loss for one. It's all back 2 front if you ask me from what I have learned since being diabetic. It's CRAZY.

Certainly the idea that most fats are not nearly as bad as we thought is gaining ground in the medical world, after 30 years of low fat dogma the BMJ published a great piece on the history of low fat advice just before Christmas.
Here is one of the responses
http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7654/rr-6

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's an good response, but to be fair to every HCP I've ever met, they have all told me 'to lose weight by advising them to stop adding sugar to hot drinks, drinking soft drinks, and to only have confectionery, cakes and biscuits on special occasions'

In fact the NHS are running that campaign now I believe.