Athletes Foot

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
How dangerous is it when you have Db?
I bought some cream from the chemist for this and they were VERY concerned and advised me to see the doctor asap which I was totally amazed at.
Having said all that, this particular "infection" has not followed the pattern of AF as there is no itching or soreness. It's just a matter of the skin seems to keep peeling off in little chunks under my toes. I take great care to dry between my toes after showering and use kitchen towel paper which I was advised by the chiropodist.
Your comments would be appreciated.

oobuc5

hello ,i had that and can only speak for my own experience but i have tried a few things and the only thing that worked is scholl tolnaftate atheletes foot spray ,dont buy the powder one its no good
i had eczema on my feet and it cleared that up:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I had an attack where the skin under my toes split.
I also had a major infection in one big toenail - right back to the roots.

As I was so worried about it, the doctor prescribed a full course of treatment of low dosage anti fungal pills which I was on for about six months.
I also had some anti-fungal nail paint which I applied every couple of days.
Boring as hell, but it cleared all my fungal infections eventually.

So there should be stuff that your doctor can approve and/or prescribe for you.

The over-the counter treatments have caveats about what kinds of infections that they treat.
In the case of infected nails if the infection is all across the whole nail then they are not suitable.
I felt that there was no point in just treating under my toes when I had a permanent source of infection in my toe nail which would just reinfect the rest of my foot.

Bottom line, check with your doctor!

Cheers

LGC

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The best protection for feet is TIGHT blood Glucose ccontrol. fungi love sugar! :(
Hana

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
foxglove said:
Having said all that, this particular "infection" has not followed the pattern of AF as there is no itching or soreness.

In the absence of itching and soreness I would say it is not athletes foot, having suffered with it myself for the best part of my life. Definitely see your doctor, as diabetics we can not take enough care of our feet :D

As regard the treatment of athletes foot I tried just about everything, powders and creams and it always came back until some years ago when a product was launched called Lamisil I used the spray once and have never suffered since, I do keep a spray in the bedside cabinet and any time I get an itchy toe a quick spray fixes it immediately.
I can not praise this product enough, the only thing that worked for me in 40 years. :D

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Thanks everybody for your input.
Eventually went to see doc. and he said it was Af and that sometimes it won't itch or be sore. In fact he wasn't all that bothered about it apart from saying that it is extremely difficult to get rid of!
The cream that I bought from the chemist was Lamisil and seems to be having a good effect, thank goodness.

steve_sandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
had some once in a lifetime cream, was effective for 6 months

tried surgical spirit, liberally covered the feet in the stuff with cotton wool pads, not seen any for a long time, it might sting a bit though :)

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Hana, mine never came back (after treatment) when I got my levels right down.