ATTEMPT TO IMPROVE DIABETIC RETINOPATHY

MOLITTLE

I have diabetic retinopathy and note on the forum that the following were useful to others:

Bilberry Extract - Lutein --- Maritime Pine Bark

I have just started taking 320mg of Bilberry Extract and 40mg Lutein which so far have shown no side effects.

I am going to start the Martime Pine Bark next week. I thought I would try now as I await my next hospital appointment and then if there is no improvement I will discontinue.

I wanted to know if any other sufferers had found taking all three beneficial for this condition.

bonerp

who knows - if i didnt take it I couldnt compare! Now i do I have convinced myself it does - until i have another bleed grrr

:wink:

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi,
I also have retinopathy, where do you buy these compounds from ?

Kind regards

Bernie

MOLITTLE

Hi Bernie,

I purchased the Bilberry Extract 100mg tablets and the Lutein 20mg from G Baldwin & Co Walworth Road London, their phone number is 02077035550 or you can buy online.

I found the Martime Pine Bark on Amazon.

Hope this is helpful

leb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi i am new to this forum but feel it is somewhere that may help me deal with my recent problems.
I am 32 yrs old and have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years. Since having my first daughter 13 years ago my control has been awful. My hba1c wad above 10 continuously. I went on DAFNE in feb and got a bit better control although my blood ranges from 1.9 - 29.5. In arch i was diagnosed with advanced proliferative retinopathy requirung urgent laser treatment as it was pulling on my retina. I had my retInal screening in november last year and all was ok so you can imagine my surprIse to be told how advanced it was. Following extensive lader (prp) 3000 shots in each eye !! I am not any better off at the momemt. I still have a bleed in my rIght eye whIc is causing temporary blindness several times a day. I am so so scared at the moment as i cant stop thinking that i may end up blind. Has anyone used any of the maritime bark or billberry extract with any success. I just feel so awful right now as my vIsIon is prerty bad in my rIght eye and all the speciaIist told me to do was wait until my next appointment which isnt until august. I know i am a nughtmare to live with at the momwnt and my husband and 2 daughters habe probably had enough of hearing me talk and worry about my sIght. I am willing to give anything a go just wondered uf anyone had proven success with these remidies

leb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi just want to let people know the possinle side affects of these supplements.
Im no expert and when my bleeds started i scoured the net to findsomething that would help. I too started billberry grapeseed and the maritime bark as all said help with retinopathy. This is because they help the blood flow so if you have the 1st stages then these might prevwnt it from worseninv. Unfortunately all 3 supplementd can thin the blood and uf you have bleeding tjis can become wotse. Well mune deffinitely worsened and it was only when the nurse st the eye hospital asked if i was takung any bliod thinners that i searched google for each one as a blood tjinner thay it ststed it helps circulation.
Si just wanted to warn people. It may nit hsppen to everyone and maybe u wad unlucky but it did seem to mske sense. Although i sm still havung frequent bleefs they are nit as bad as they were when taking the supplements.
Obviously its up to the individusl but might be a good ides to really resesrch each before taking them

Goid luck all

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
leb said:
Hi just want to let people know the possinle side affects of these supplements.
Im no expert and when my bleeds started i scoured the net to findsomething that would help. I too started billberry grapeseed and the maritime bark as all said help with retinopathy. This is because they help the blood flow so if you have the 1st stages then these might prevwnt it from worseninv. Unfortunately all 3 supplementd can thin the blood and uf you have bleeding tjis can become wotse. Well mune deffinitely worsened and it was only when the nurse st the eye hospital asked if i was takung any bliod thinners that i searched google for each one as a blood tjinner thay it ststed it helps circulation.
Si just wanted to warn people. It may nit hsppen to everyone and maybe u wad unlucky but it did seem to mske sense. Although i sm still havung frequent bleefs they are nit as bad as they were when taking the supplements.
Obviously its up to the individusl but might be a good ides to really resesrch each before taking them

Goid luck all

Thanks Leb, I'll admit that I did start taking supplements when I first started having problems with retinopathy but now just eat good sources of fruit and vegetables instead.

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive mentioned these supplements to my eye doc he said the best advice is keep your diabetes under control,

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Only thing that improved my background retinopathy... To no retinopathy ... Was lower hba1c's BUT not only that.... It was by having less swings in my levels...i've had fairky good hba1c's for years..and background retinopathy for about 3 years. This year specsavers and hospital both confirmed it has gone...now rhat is solely down to the use of a cgm for the past year.. That is the only difference to my living...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just woukdnt want people relying on supplements when I believe that the best method is to improve levels.. Not easy for people who already have horrible retinopathy and eye problems... But I believe that improvements in diabetes is the preferred option and must admit I have never heard of supplements to help.
I know the vast majority of diabetics cant get cgm's.. But it has definitely limited the swings in my levels... And I believe that is the sole reason why mine has gone.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
kleef74 said:
Ive mentioned these supplements to my eye doc he said the best advice is keep your diabetes under control,

It's good advice, I can't really say if supplements are beneficial when it comes to diabetic retinopathy but my own Opthamologist said that keeping bg, bp and cholesterol levels under control and eating a healthy diet gives us the best possible chance of delaying or stopping the progression of retinopathy.

MissFortune

I hope i'm not being naive but I doubt anyone would use a supplement as a cure for diabetic retinopathy.
It's tough living with this condition and worrying leads to desperate thoughts but your ophthalmologist or GP would prescribe supplements if they were proven to stop retinopathy in its tracks.

Other than swapping apples for blueberries i've not made any changes to my diet or bought any eye related supplements and it's four years since I was first diagnosed.

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive had retinopathy for 10 years i lost the sight in my left eye 2 years after diagnosed yes it was very scary and still is, i never left the house for 2years thinking everybody could see i was nearly blind but i managed to pull things around and 4 me it was just sticking to the basics of been a diabetic excercise eating taking my insulin and testing my blood.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Sorry to be dense - but what is a cgm?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not only is it good for your eyes but it is also most effective in the treatment of varicocele.
Tried and tested :wink: