1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Australia

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Smile., Oct 30, 2015.

1. Smile.

Smile. Type 1 · Member

Hi everyone.

I have just been accepted into a program which means I will be going to Australia for a few months. This means I will have to apply for a visa (special program or working holiday) and I was wondering if anyone could share their experience i.e as you are only there for a short amount of time, did you get asked to undergo a medical examination or once you declared it did Immigration just grant you the visa? I will be taking all of my own medicine and will only need to incur medical costs if for some reason I needed to get more medicine (which I would pay for myself)

I look forward to hearing some of your experiences. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BethTwydall

BethTwydall Type 1 · Active Member

Hi! I went to Australia for a year on a working holiday visa. Didn't have to have a medical think I just put it on my visa application. I took as much medication as I could and the only thing I ran out of was insulin. They have a medicare system over there which you can sign up for when you get there and it slightly discounts the cost of a prescription. I saw a doctor for some insulin and think I had to pay about $100. Make sure you have got insurance, shop around for the best deal and you can claim the cost back. Have a great time I loved Aus! Very easy country to go to if you have diabetes xx

• Like Like x 6
  3. Blackers183

Blackers183 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You will need to get a prescription from a local doctor to get any medicines. UK has sharing rights so getting local Medicare card which gets you subsidised medicines should be easy, go to or call the Aust embassy to check it out before you leave.
    David, Melbourne Australia.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Rostarr

Rostarr · Newbie

Hi there! I am an American living in Australia. You should sign up to the National Diabetes Scheme to get discounts on your meds in case you need to buy some. They are quite expensive without it. If you're going to be in NSW, sign up for diabetes nsw, too. https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/ndss

5. Smile

Smile · Member

6. Smile.

Smile. Type 1 · Member

Bump in the night.

7. Sucre Bleu

Sucre Bleu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, just clarifying, the NDSS isn't actually for meds, it is for all the related supplies, needles, pump gear, test strips etc, as an Australian who spends large chunks of the year in the US, I would not want to be caught short paying exorbitant prices there at all.
    Not sure about the UK.

8. Smile.

Smile. Type 1 · Member

Out of interest, has anyone been requested to undergo a medical just for a 1 year Working Holiday Visa? When you declared your diabetes on the visa application, what exactly did you say?

9. BethTwydall

I had a working holiday 1 year visa and just put well managed diabetes on the forms and i didn't have to have a medical!

10. Smile.

Smile. Type 1 · Member

Did they request a Doctors letter to confirm this/request anything which delayed you receiving the visa?

11. London36_

London36_ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    About 10 years ago I did a working holiday visa, just put well controlled type 1 down didn't need medical. No questions asked. More recently, I applied for permanent residency and like all applicants had to undergo a medical. I just brought a copy of my HBA1c to the medical to somewhat prove I was under control. No one said to do this, I just did. Never heard anything again, no more medicals and I was granted residency.
    Medicare good but I was on holiday there / validating pr visa during the Icelandic ash cloud a few years ago which meant I couldn't get a flight home for another 13 days!!! I'm on a pump and had to pay an absolute fortune to get an infusion set as I ran out of spares. I think you need to pay for private health insurance first to get pump supplies out there. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  12. Smile.

Smile. Type 1 · Member

Bump?

Answer to my above more recent question?

13. Smile.

Smile. Type 1 · Member

Can anyone else share their experiences?

14. BethTwydall

Hi Smile

Just wanted to say that you have at least 4 people now saying that they have applied for the working holiday visa and everything was absolutely fine and easy. My advice, stop panicking, apply and see what happens! All will be okay. Australia's is a westernised country and thousands of diabetics probably apply everyday!

15. Smile.

Smile. Type 1 · Member

Hi. Sorry. I was just trying to get a pool of experiences, that's all.

Shoutout to anyone who has done their Australia visa online - when you declared diabetes (as in, ticked you might incur medical costs) were you required to complete a few questions on their e-medical form? Were you informed by your case officer if you needed to have a medical done or did they okay the diabetes and you were you granted the visa?

#15 Smile., Dec 23, 2015 at 11:44 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2015
  16. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

No experience in this field myself. But I can tag in a respected Austailian national that might help with information?
    Don't let the avatar fool you.. Lol ;) @Mike D

17. Smile.

Smile. Type 1 · Member

Did anyone get any vaccinations when going to Australia?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook