1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Australian researchers develop saliva based bg test

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by EllieM, Jul 14, 2021.

1. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Newcastle team develops world-first lickable diabetes test, rendering finger pricks obsolete - ABC News

Interesting article here, on how researchers have developed a saliva test for blood sugars.

Not sure how well it would work, would you have to rinse your mouth out before testing?

The Australian government has announced $6.3million in funding to build a manufacturing facility for the tests in the Hunter region by the end of 2023.

So sounds like they may be quite close to a workable product....

They are talking about using it for insulin users, so presumably is accurate? Interesting development.

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmm. I'm no scientist. But I wonder if it works on the same principle as to why anyone hypoglycieminc can also fail a breathalizer test?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I didn't know that. That's scary, making it way too easy for police to assume hypoglycemics are drunk.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jaylee

Staff Member

They can think that if they are not clued up? "Sober up in the morning after a night in the slammer???"

Long story, I was once breathalized whilst treating a hypo? They'd intially thought I was stealing or robbing my own car.. (It was stionary & parked in a dark area..) it was raiding the glove box after eating the contents of my jacket pocket.
    I was breathalised on a handheld, failed & took down the "nick." Then had to blow in a bigger machine at the station & passed...
    I'd come back up by then... The cops let me go.. They even drove me back to my vehicle?
    I read years later you can fail a breath test whilst low.. ( i felt at the time the device they used needed calibrating.)

This was a long time ago in my youth when the DVLC rules were actually A little unclear regarding diabetes..

I learned the hard way.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Having used the libre now for over 2 years I’m wondering how this would work in practicality , I know when I didn’t take my blood sugar for years was that it was difficult and almost impossible in the job I was doing , the Libre is far more “ work friendly” in my humble opinion .

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jaylee

Staff Member

Hi,
    I wouldn't dissagree.. With the CGM setups it's never been easier regarding keeping an eye on the ball?
    The work I'm doing these days, I'm pretty much up to my elbows in dust & muck.
    The job I'm currently on (landscaping.) has no working outside tap. So even a simple hand rinse for the classic BG test is not an option. Lol, I suppose I could use my bottled drinking water... :banghead:

It would be fascinating to see how this saliva tech fairs as a "back up" though?

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook