autonomic neuropathy

pinklady

hi i'm 23 with autonomic neuropathy and my main focus is on my digestive tract right now because i have had chronic diarrhea for almost 10months now. Codeine phosphate sometimes works but not all the time i have such a rapid transit, and immodium just clogs it all up in my lower bowels and is painfully uncomfortable. :roll: Creon supplements also seem to help but not always. I definately do not have gastroparesis. Any knowledge of constant diarrhea as an autonomic symptom? Every day is such a struggle! :roll:

ChocFish

pinklady that must be awful for you and really affect the quality of your life, I am so sorry.

Have you had tests done to make sure that the permanent diarrhoea is due to neuropathy and not something else, tell what are your bg readings, whats your recent Hb1ac? With neuropathy is is very, very important to keep your bg as near as possible to that of a non-diabetic and for quite some time too and the affected nerves will start to heal again.

What is your diet like and which medications do you take? If you have had this condition for 10 months now you might also be lacking in certain vitamins and minerals because the food is passing through too quickly? Please discuss this with your doctor or nurse, dont rush out there stocking up on a whole lot of supplements.

So a search on neuropathy, there is a link in this forum somewhere, just type the word into the search box on the top right hand corner.

I hope that you get better soon

meeshathecat

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi sorry - I am a newbie but I noticed that you say that you are on a low carb diet. Have you ever taken a fibre supplement? If so can I ask what and with what frequency ( used to be a pharmacutical dispenser)

ChocFish

Hi meeshathecat

welcome to the forum and dont ever apologise for asking any questions, I never took any fibre supplements, when I started my low carb diet I did increase protein by a little bit but mostly I filled up on vegetables, I eat some fruit also, a whole rainbow of veg and fruit every single day, so much it would be impossible to be constipated I think.

All the best

Karen

ChocFish

Pinklady - I came across this link, http://www.corecharity.org.uk/Diabetic-Diarrrhoea.html, maybe if you email the charity or Manchester Uni re Dr Piyara Begum and obtain contact details you can find out more about your condition and hopefully get the help you need.

It might also be worth considering drinking kefir, this can help with a whole range of digestive disorders and help strengthen your immune system, its cheap too, all you would need is a starter culture and you can get that for the price of a couple of stamps.
Here is a link for you viewtopic.php?t=974 and google kefir & diabetes (but if there is a site that tells you its a miracle cure for diabetes, dont bother reading that one) its also not necessary to spend a whole load of money to brew your own kefir.

All the best

Karen