Average blood tests per day?

dollydaydream2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How many blood tests per day is ok? Just been told my strips have been cut from 6 packs for 6 weeks to 3 packs. I probably over test at the moment but don't see how I can stretch three packs for that long!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can test between 5 and 10 times a day........obviously some of those tests are for information as opposed to for dose adjustment.......

you can argue you need to test for meals, driving, exercise, basal testing, illness.......

I get 100 strips a time, but I just go back when I run out..............and by go back I mean email my doctor, then pick up my stuff from the pharmacy on way home from work....:)

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use 5 a day minimum. Sometimes as much as 10. Usually 5 though.

Get 300 at a time and just request more when I'm done

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

dollydaydream2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use 5 a day minimum. Sometimes as much as 10. Usually 5 though.

Get 300 at a time and just request more when I'm done

That's how many I've had for years but suddenly without explanation they've cut it in half :-(

Maybe I should ask if they want to cut my insulin dose in half too!

dollydaydream2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can test between 5 and 10 times a day........obviously some of those tests are for information as opposed to for dose adjustment.......

you can argue you need to test for meals, driving, exercise, basal testing, illness.......

I get 100 strips a time, but I just go back when I run out..............and by go back I mean email my doctor, then pick up my stuff from the pharmacy on way home from work....:)

Oh I'm definitely going to argue!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How many blood tests per day is ok? Just been told my strips have been cut from 6 packs for 6 weeks to 3 packs. I probably over test at the moment but don't see how I can stretch three packs for that long!!

That's not anywhere near enough, works out about 4 strips a day. The following letter was sent out last year from the Dept of Health to gp's and consultants advising them against restricting test strips for type 1's, why don't you print it off and remind your Dr of it's contents:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../Safe-care-of-people-with-type-1-diabetes.pdf

I test on average about 7 times a day.

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Might be worth calling your gp as I received a letter stating mine were "being reduced from 300 to 200 per month as was recommended for all type 2's in our area"

When I queried this as I am type 1 they didn't know why I got the letter and had no record on my file of it being sent to me!

Strips have been cut to 200 per prescription, however I just do a repeat request whenever I need them and it is accepted every time so no real restriction as I just request more often!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
On average, around once per waking hour.

But mostly I use the highly economical visually read strips: either Betachek Visual or Glucoflex-R. (http://www.betachek.com/uk/)

They are both on the drug tariff, but only the latter currently has a UK distributer.

Both are very accurate (I find) for readings up to around 8mmol/l.

For low readings, they are both exceptionally accurate.

But they're not much use if your condition is not already quite well managed, using a meter.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Blimey that's not much!!

Lol dolly
I am on Humalog mix25 which I have pre breakfast and pre evening meal. I test twice day at different times each day thereby covering most waking hours during a week. Driving is in addition due to DVLA rules.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I'm T1 and test approx 8 times a day I get 100 strips a time and that's just been increased from 50 but if I phone for strips I get them no questions asked

A

AnnieC

. If you have a repeat prescription for them can they reduce them as a repeat prescription usually means you get what you want when you need it

jodysd6

I get 200 at a time and at the moment am probably testing about 10 times per day sometimes more but I am really trying to tighten my control and I am making adjustments a lot. They always just give me a new prescription when I ask but I might ask them on Tuesday at my GP review if they can be increased so I don't have to order as often!