Average on Meter Vs HbA1C

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Does the 14 day or 30 day average on your glucose meter give a good indication of control and how do you feel this relates to your HbA1C? I have a young child so my averages are about the 10 mark (at the moment) and his last HbA1C was 8.7 (I think the meter was running a higher average before this was taken). I'm not due to get another test for about 3 weeks.
Jen.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There's a comparison table somewhere. You can Google it

jopar

You would need to compare your meters 30 day adverage with several HbA1c's to get some indiction of how far your meter is off, and even then you can only use it as a rough guide to what to expect. As the meter only works out the adverage from test carried out, so has't the ability to work out what happened between those tests.

I keep a eye on my 30 day adverage, as this can be a indicator that overall my levels are creeping up on a daily bases which may not be apparent. I check my 30 day adverage once a week, to see if it is going down, steady or creeping up...

If it steady then I'm not worried.
If it goes up then I look very closing to the 'why'
If it goes down then I'm chuffed but still make sure that this isn't due to hypos altering the results...

On my present meter, I've worked out that I'm looking at my HbA1c being around 1.6mmol/l above what my HbA1c,s comes in, but other meter I've had have had different differances ranging from about 1mmo/l to 2.5 mmol/l, I also checked the 30 dayg adverage, when I have my bloods taken,

JER

I don't think you should get too worried about trying to make a direct comparison between your daily meter readings because they are measuring two different things:-
Your meter gives the actual value of the amount of glucose in your blood at the time you measure it expressed in millimoles per litre of blood (or mg per decilitres of blood - units, used in Europe and the US).
HbA1c is a glycosylated heamoglobin value which measures the percentage of glucose around the heamoglobin cells in your blood. For a non diabetic this value is about 6% (I think) so the target value Diabetics should aim for is between 6% - 7%.
So although, if you read the stuff on google, there is a correlation between the two I think it best to take note of your meter readings day to day, week to week, bearing in mind that the average values it gives are an arithmetical average of your daily readings, so I guess if you get average values between 5.5 - 7.5 you are doing well.
Then get an HbA1c done at your clinic every 3 or 6 months and view this as an absolute measure of control and then make changes if necessary according to these results.
Hope I haven't confused things.