Avocado advice

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I tried avocado years and years ago, must be more than thirty years and I hated it.

Have read here that it''s a good food so though I would try it again. Had it for breakfast, smallish and very ripe and squishy.

S'orrible. :( This is really embarrassing but I don't know what to do with the stupid thing! How to season it, any good ideas for it..any suggestions would be appreciated.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
It's an aquired taste. I remember, as a child, the whole family excitedly waiting for the "avacado pears" that my mother had bought for desert (she thought they were like real pears). We all had one mouthfull and spat it out.

It's nice to add texture to a salad, but I love just eating them raw from the skin. High in fat, low in carbs, I eat at least 2 a day.

Reactions: lorraine95

Grazer

Chop it up with tomato, onion. A bit of lemon juice and some olive oil to make a salsa. Spread it on a slice of toasted burgen with some chopped chilli if you like it hot. Supposed to have it with tortilla chips, but toasted burgen a bit friendlier!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Google guacamole. I love avocado-never used to, it also makes a nice juice if you whizz it in a processor with cucumber. I also have it with prawns and a sort of marie rose sauce, its lovely and creamy and cooling.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Guacamole's lovely if you make it from scratch like above,tried the ready made stuff in the supermarket once and it wasn't great to be honest.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
The avocado has to be squished, to be honest we can't get really good avocados, they have to be 'ready to eat' .

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dawnmc said:
The avocado has to be squished, to be honest we can't get really good avocados, they have to be 'ready to eat' .

So you're the one that squishes all the avocados in my local supermarket, so that only the bruised ones are left when I get there :!: :evil:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Noooo not me, I live in the north of England, we got avocados long after you - like years. I know this cos I lived in London, moved back north and couldn't find anything that I used to eat in the south. I say this before anyone tells me that I'm getting at northeners. Shame we have to explain ourselves so much in this oh so pc world.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dawnmc said:
Noooo not me, I live in the north of England, we got avocados long after you - like years. I know this cos I lived in London, moved back north and couldn't find anything that I used to eat in the south. I say this before anyone tells me that I'm getting at northeners. Shame we have to explain ourselves so much in this oh so pc world.

Reminds me of the urban myth about Peter Mandelson going into a chip shop in his constituency (Hartlepool) and pointing at a tub of Mushy Peas and saying "I'll have some of that Guacamole too please." Cue bouts of derisive laughter from the staff.

I remember the reverse happening at University, when my friend from Cheshire asked for "chips and gravey" in a London chip shop. They nearly ran him out of town.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I like them with Lime juice, Worcester sauce or vinaigrette.
Hana

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I sometimes peel mine, cut them into strips off the stone, and eat in any kind of salad. Better with a vinaigrette dressing than mayo :shock: .

Today i am going to cut one in half, pull the halves off the stone, fill the hole with a vinaigrette-type low-carb dressing, and eat it with a teaspoon.

I don't like them too ripe - just about 'al dente' :lol:

Viv 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just had tuna on burgen toast with avocado chopped up on top :thumbup:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
noblehead said:
Just had tuna on burgen toast with avocado chopped up on top :thumbup:
I might give that a go but with tinned red salmon instead for a change. :D

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I love 'em but I got 15g carbs each for a medium Hass.
Anyone got better info?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That sounds like an "American Carbs" with the fibre included. You probably need to subtract it out. Shouldn't be more than 3-4g of carbs in a medium avocado, they're really just balls of fat.

Unbeliever

Very apposite his hread. I keep uying avocados and forgeting about them and having o chuc them away.

Used to eat hem a lot in the 60s {in the north -imagine!] because they were very popular as a starter hen, thw word seemed to be that they were "faty" . Sound familiar? I was surprised to find my daughter buying and eating them , invesigated and found i was GOOD fat.
So thank you for all hese ips . Maybe I will actually eat this one.

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
borofergie said:
That sounds like an "American Carbs" with the fibre included. You probably need to subtract it out. Shouldn't be more than 3-4g of carbs in a medium avocado, they're really just balls of fat.
D'oh! Of course! :roll:
Off to Aldi... :D

Defren

dawnmc said:

I'm a northerner, and I agree. I lived in Buckinghamshire for a number of years and missed some of the foods I had enjoyed here, and found foods in Bucks and London that were completely new to me.

I stayed in a hotel in Knightsbridge and came down to breakfast the first morning, and loads of guests were eating avocado. My colleague (a southerner) ordered one as well, so I had a taste :sick: It is an acquired taste, and one I really like now.

There really was quite a big north south divide back then circa 1984.