Awful side effects of antibiotics for treatment of UTI

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Hi, haven't posted for a while but still log in occasionally. I wonder if anyone has any advice on a natural treatment for a UTI suitable for diabetics. I have been experiencing some symptons of a UTI, lowback pain, wanting to urinate frequently, full bladder but nothing much appearing however no burning sensation - went to doctor and gave urine sample which came back as showing no infection - bg numbers have been fine, well within my usual range and I have no fever or temperature. However, she prescribed the antibiotic Macrodantin but after two days on this I was suffering really awful side-effects and stopped taking them - the side effects were worse than the condition!

A friend of mine told me about a product called D-Mannose which she takes. I looked it up on Google and it states that it is Ok for diabetics - I just wondered if anyone has tried this or knows about this product. Am 'snowed' in at the moment so won't be able to go back to doctors until maybe middle of next week and will ask her if she knows about it - but wondered if anyone else has used it. My friend also takes Cranberry Juice but I'm not sure if this is OK as most of it is sweetened.

Any help and advice appreciated as I really don't want to have to take anymore antibiotics.

Rita

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Thanks Darkhorse for responding - I am trying to drink lots of water but get 'waterlogged' after a while and fed up with running to the loo every 10 minutes! But I'll keep drinking. Once I can get out I'll go talk to doctor again. Many thanks.

Rita

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My advice would be to ask your pharmacist for a "urinary tract alkaliniser" - not sure what the brand names are in the UK. I find they help a lot with UTI symptoms.

Dark Horse

Indy51 is right that the pharmacy will sell you something to neutralise the urine (which becomes acidic during a UTI) and will help reduce symptoms. If you have problems with high blood pressure, avoid those products containing sodium e.g. sodium citrate and go for something like potassium citrate. Ask the pharmacist and mention you want to avoid sodium.