Awkard situation, Might of found my stolen bike on ebay but not sure due to pages, seller not clear?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
So bassically Monday afternoon, i stopped on way home to pick a few things up my bike got stolen. I reported it to police when i got home.

I've been told to also keep an eye out. My older brother and friends told me to keep an eye out on like ebay.

So i found some weird pages. Well first one yesterday and a different one.

1st:
So the first one is the description matched my bike but the picture was a complete different bike. So messaged the seller. Just wondering how come you said you have a Cross bike but the picture is off a muddy fox bike. He instantly replied sorry my mistake. It\s a cross i have. I then replied back you should put the right picture on. No reply so i sent another message lying saying to try to get a bit more informatin. I bassically said i was asking as i might be interested but i would like to see a picture of the bike and also to know the serial number.
(It's also being selling for 75 pounds)

2nd.
I found a page of a screenshot of the same bike i had but just of a order page being sold for 70 pounds I then messaged this one and this is what i said?
Me: Hello, could you send the serial number?
Reply: Why do you need this? you could make a claim through insurance or buy it
Me: Why can't you give it?
Reply: Because i am a police officer and it doesn't sound right.

Dunno what i should say back?

ps am i right thinking these pages are fishy (thing is my stolen bike was a cross that matched these pages and the only way to make sure it's mine is to check the serial number, the 1st one seems odd as if it was a mistake wouldn't you off changed the picture as soon as someone said. 2nd page seems odd: as if he's police officer, It doesn't make sense what he said as 1. Bike shops are allowed to give serial numbers so it seems weird there being secretive. Plus why would a police officer be selling a bike online? It seems more like a cover up. :

What should i do??

ps I don't want to contact my local police till i'm sure its mine and the only way to know this is by finding out the serial number

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If someone is selling a stolen bike they are hardly likely to give you the serial number. Who else but the owner or police would be able to do anything with that number? If the ads keep disappearing and then reappearing elsewhere they probably got spooked and re advertised it. Or it could be a legit seller, though like you say they’d probably give you the number even if it’s useless to anyone but an owner or police.

I’d be inclined to either tell the police or go view the bike and not give yourself away as obviously. Ideally at a house so they can be traced not in a park where they can take off rapidly with no way of finding them. Take a good look over the bike, outdoors for better safety, subtly notice the serial number, decline to purchase and then if it matches call the police as soon as you leave the premises. Or buy the bike to be sure you get it asking for a receipt etc. Mark your notes discreetly if you plan to do this. Don’t do anything that could put yourself in any danger or cause a confrontation.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
If someone is selling a stolen bike they are hardly likely to give you the serial number. Who else but the owner or police would be able to do anything with that number? If the ads keep disappearing and then reappearing elsewhere they probably got spooked and re advertised it. Or it could be a legit seller, though like you say they’d probably give you the number even if it’s useless to anyone but an owner or police.

I’d be inclined to either tell the police or go view the bike and not give yourself away as obviously. Ideally at a house so they can be traced not in a park where they can take off rapidly with no way of finding them. Take a good look over the bike, outdoors for better safety, subtly notice the serial number, decline to purchase and then if it matches call the police as soon as you leave the premises. Or buy the bike to be sure you get it asking for a receipt etc. Mark your notes discreetly if you plan to do this. Don’t do anything that could put yourself in any danger or cause a confrontation.
The thing is how are you supposed to know it’s exactly yours without serial number that’s the only thing that profs it’s yours? I’m asking as I don’t want to get a innocent person in trouble if it turns out not to be mine and I didn’t want to waste police time if it turns out not to be mine.
Plus I also saw one breifly that looked like mine only from a distance due to being in a bus saw through window.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seriously? A blue cannondale whatever is the same as a blue cannodale whatever. I agree serial number is the only provable way to differentiate but outright asking a potential thief to give that information is naive and destined to fail. So subtly and caution is the way forward. If you can’t manage that then hand it over to the police and hope they have the resources and finances to follow through (no guarantees unfortunately).

D

Deleted member 308541

The thing is how are you supposed to know it’s exactly yours without serial number that’s the only thing that profs it’s yours?
You need to eyeball the bikes serial number at the buyers place, and if it's your bike make an excuse not to purchase, Then go to the police and hope they have what @HSSS said.

Reactions: HSSS

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Sorry you lost your bike..
Would there be any other distinguishing characteristics regarding identifying your bike from a photo that may arouse reasonable suspicion? Dents, scratches, personalisation or modification of the bike??

Then let the law do the rest with the serial number... ;)