AZ Vaccine and Blood Sugar Levels

DavidE54

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Is it just a coincidence, or has anyone else noticed that their blood sugar levels dropped slightly, for a short time, after a shot of the AZ Covid-19 vaccine?
I have had both doses and noticed the same thing after each dose - dropped from 6.5 ish to 5.9 ish.
If there is a link, does anyone have any idea what it is?
Regards, David

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Is it just a coincidence, or has anyone else noticed that their blood sugar levels dropped slightly, for a short time, after a shot of the AZ Covid-19 vaccine?
I have had both doses and noticed the same thing after each dose - dropped from 6.5 ish to 5.9 ish.
If there is a link, does anyone have any idea what it is?
Regards, David
I had Pfizer and after second dose my sugars dropped significantly. So much so I’ve had to raise the amount of carbs I eat to get the same kind of numbers I had previously.
No idea why but I guess it’s just that the body will do what it wants when it wants and how it wants when it comes to delaying with fighting infection or even fake infection.
If I eat the wrong thing then my sugars still spike but my ultra keto of less than 19g a day just wasn’t working anymore and I had to increase to around 25-30g. At home I done care but given I drive everyday I have to be more careful.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a very noticeable drop after my first jab, not so sure after the second (I had it on friday) as I've definitely been more insulin sensitive recently and I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not o_O

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are a number of threads about this - the Search at the top right of every forum page will help you find them.
Some people have experienced higher blood sugar levels, some lower and some have experienced no change.
As with everything diabetes related, we are all different

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only had my first AZ vaccination and my bgl are still around the same levels. I also have had the 2021 / 22 fluvax a month later and they are still the same.

My next AZ shot is in a coulpe of weeks and hopefully my bgl stays the same

Lexden

I was diagnosed with Type 2 nearly 4 years ago. I have had Crohn's Disease since the age of 23 when the only treatment was surgery and I had 3 bowel resections in two years, a colostomy bag and treatment with high dose steroids for nearly five years. I am now 74 and have Crohn's flare ups every five to seven years or so which are treated with modern low dose steroids. I had my first vaccine jab in February and 14 days after my blood sugar started to go out of control. Due to my Crohn's problem I have a very restricted low fat, zero dairy diet and my glucose levels are generally well controlled with the occasional fasting level of 9.5mml but suddenly I was getting readings of 16.5mml and 18.0mml. My highest fasting level was 26.5mml. I could feel myself getting very unwell. There are no GP appointments where I live only A&E and telephone GP help lines. I was told by telephone to double my Sukkarto SR dose. This gave me the most appalling diarrhoea but I continued with the high dose but began to feel even worse and unable to do much but just sit/ lay about all day. After about a month I began to feel worse and reduced my Sukkarto levels however, I could never get my glucose levels down below 11.5mml. Three months after my original vaccination I had the booster and the same thing happened. I asked my GP by telephone to change my Sukkarto SR to Gliclazide which is what they gave me in Hospital once but when I was first diagnosed with T2 he refused and told me once again to increase my Sukkarto SR. I eventually got my son to take me for a blood test and immediately I was given a prescription for Gliclazide. Two days later my blood sugar started to come down and in 4 days later I am getting normal results of 7.6/ 8.00mml - the diarrhoea has stopped and I am beginning to feel better apart from night cramps in both legs. I think the problem started with my CoVid vaccination and a reaction but I can't be sure and I have never before had such difficulty controlling my glucose levels. I felt cut off from my GP who gave me the impression he had no time to waste on me and it was only a nurse in A&E who went out of her way to sit with me and take detailed notes which lead to me getting a change to Gliclazide. I know that they are very busy and I am just a very old man and have to expect health problems but the worst was not being able to speak to anyone about the issues.

Reactions: NaijaChick

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with Type 2 nearly 4 years ago. I have had Crohn's Disease since the age of 23 when the only treatment was surgery and I had 3 bowel resections in two years, a colostomy bag and treatment with high dose steroids for nearly five years. I am now 74 and have Crohn's flare ups every five to seven years or so which are treated with modern low dose steroids. I had my first vaccine jab in February and 14 days after my blood sugar started to go out of control. Due to my Crohn's problem I have a very restricted low fat, zero dairy diet and my glucose levels are generally well controlled with the occasional fasting level of 9.5mml but suddenly I was getting readings of 16.5mml and 18.0mml. My highest fasting level was 26.5mml. I could feel myself getting very unwell. There are no GP appointments where I live only A&E and telephone GP help lines. I was told by telephone to double my Sukkarto SR dose. This gave me the most appalling diarrhoea but I continued with the high dose but began to feel even worse and unable to do much but just sit/ lay about all day. After about a month I began to feel worse and reduced my Sukkarto levels however, I could never get my glucose levels down below 11.5mml. Three months after my original vaccination I had the booster and the same thing happened. I asked my GP by telephone to change my Sukkarto SR to Gliclazide which is what they gave me in Hospital once but when I was first diagnosed with T2 he refused and told me once again to increase my Sukkarto SR. I eventually got my son to take me for a blood test and immediately I was given a prescription for Gliclazide. Two days later my blood sugar started to come down and in 4 days later I am getting normal results of 7.6/ 8.00mml - the diarrhoea has stopped and I am beginning to feel better apart from night cramps in both legs. I think the problem started with my CoVid vaccination and a reaction but I can't be sure and I have never before had such difficulty controlling my glucose levels. I felt cut off from my GP who gave me the impression he had no time to waste on me and it was only a nurse in A&E who went out of her way to sit with me and take detailed notes which lead to me getting a change to Gliclazide. I know that they are very busy and I am just a very old man and have to expect health problems but the worst was not being able to speak to anyone about the issues.
I'm so sorry you went through this. Normally when I have my flu shot my bloods go up a little for a week, but with Pfizer they dropped into hypo territory a few times. But that's all, and I count myself lucky. I've read people here being worse off, like you. Putting yourself away as an "old man", whom pro's don't seem to care about for reasons of age? Nope. Doesn't fly. Vaccines can mess people up, especially when they're diabetic, and you shouldn't've been treated the way you were, whatever age you are. I'm glad the nurse took the time to actually do what was required: taking care of a scared patient who was in need of proper attention because something was really, really wrong. I do hope you'll let them know that this is unacceptable, and that you're doing much better now.

Hang in there eh. And stock up on glic some, in case of booster shots in the future!
Jo