Back pain and leg pain only at night??

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been having really bad lower back pains and severe leg pains but they are only at night.

I don't think it's a kidney infection again as that hurt all the time throughout the day and at night.
The leg pain is like I've been walking for hours but haven't walked any where as it's unbearable to walk far. It starts from the top of my knee to my ankle.

I'm having sleepless nights as I can't get comfortable in bed. I try to lay on my back, my stomach, and my side but it's just unbearable and I end up crying myself to sleep. I don't like to wake my mum up as she has work early in the morning. I am getting really irritable from lack of sleep. I feel like a burden on everyone because I constantly have something wrong with me.

I can't get into doctors until end of the week, that's if they have any appointments. Because we have no money for the bus to get over there.

I don't know what to do! I've tried co-codamol, paracetamol, codeine, ibuprofen and a hot water bottle and nothing is working. It's been like this for the past four days. I really need some advice as this time if I don't get to sleep by 4 I'm staying up all night. Help???

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought about an epsom salt bath?

I get leg pains when my magnesium level is low. I would never prescribe, but an epsom salt bath is a safe way to let your body absorb magnesium. It can not only relax the muscles, hopefully decreasing your pain, but it can also help with sleep. Best, it is not expensive, at least not here in the USA.

Just draw a very warm bath, throw in a cup or so of salts, soak for at least 30 minutes. Some people follow up with a quick rinse to get residual salts off their body because they say they might itch. I have never had that problem. I may follow with lotion, but usually not because after soaking I feel like a wet noodle and just want to go to bed.

Just a thought.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Can you self refer to a Physiotherapist?
I am struggling with back pain at the moment which seems to be down to very tight muscles in my middle to upper back. The pain is mainly in my lower back around the hip but the Physiotherapist says that it is referred pain from further up my back.
I sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees which seems to help, but each morning I wake up with cramp in my calf and it takes me about an hour to get it stretched out.

Another thing. I've been away for a week and the beds weren't good. I was in pain all night and not sleeping well. I tried sleeping on the floor (duvet under and over) and this made an enormous difference. Home again I am sleeping on a very firm bed which helps me to sleep much better. So sleeping on the floor with a pillow between your knees might help a lot.

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kailee56 I tried that before and it upset my thrush but thanks for the advice.

@LittleGreyCat I don't have another pillow and can't afford to go get one at the moment and the floor doesn't work for me, tends to make it even worse than before. Thanks though.