Back Pain - Your thoughts ?

issigonis59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

This last week (just over) I've been suffering from lower back pain, and have consequently visited the gp twice (diff dr each time). I felt that I might have a water infection as the discomfort has been in my kidney areas, so took along a water sample in case on the first visit. The gp dipped it and confirmed an infection and prescribed a 7 day course of antibiotics.

During this time i've struggled getting acceptable BG readings, where as before i have been more or less within my targets. I have put this down to both the infection and the antiboitics.

Yesterday, was the last antibiotic and I was still feeling very uncomfortable on my left side, so went back to the gp, this time a different one. He has given me some Ibruprofen for the discomfort and asked me to return another water sample on monday. The ibruprofen is doing nothing for me at all, and after reading more and more about statins I wondered if the pain and numb sensations are more to do with side effects of this rather than my kidneys (I'm hoping anyway !). I'll be taking the sample in on monday and will see what they say from that, but just wondered if anyone else had any experience a) of a problem like this or b) similar problems from Simvastatin.

I'm on 20 units of Lantus (morning) and Apridra for bolus and have been reducing and monitoring closley carb intake (not low carbing though) since my dafne course in May, and been making good progress and far better control. I also have ramipril and of course the 40mg simvastatin. I'm off in a couple of weeks for my Hba1c and will see my consultant in July.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rachel

iHs

I'm not sure if statins could be the cause of your problem but if you are in a fair degree of pain get someone to have a look at your back to see if there is a swelling starting to form maybe on the side that is hurting. If there is, then get yourself to A&E as this might be the start of an abscess building up around the kidney and will need very urgent attention.

Don't want to worry you but sometimes, kidney stones can do this to people

issigonis59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi iHS

Thanks for replying, there is no swelling or pain when pressure is put on the area, it just feels like back pain now, but with soreness and numbness to my left buttock and top of thigh. I had wondered about the posibility of a kidney stone, but didn't worry too much about this as the gp didn't seem overly concerned.

Will have to see what the second water test and monday bring.

Cheers

Rachel

iHs

It's OK

Better to be safe than sorry. Just keep a look out though for any swelling that starts to materialise. If it does (it will look red and shiny) get to hospital as quick as possible.

Thirsty

issigonis59 said:
Hi iHS

Thanks for replying, there is no swelling or pain when pressure is put on the area, it just feels like back pain now, but with soreness and numbness to my left buttock and top of thigh. I had wondered about the posibility of a kidney stone, but didn't worry too much about this as the gp didn't seem overly concerned.

Will have to see what the second water test and monday bring.

Cheers

Rachel

Rachel, that sounds like sciatica, which I suffer from. It might be worth asking the doc about that.

issigonis59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Thirsty

Thanks for the link, I've just had a quick read, and you are right it does sound more like sciatica and perhaps the water infection I've had has made me think it is something to do with my kidneys. I'll see how I go and check with the dr on Monday.

Thanks for your help

Rachel :wink: