Type 2 Back scratcher in use again!

jg.paul86@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Soap operas.
Hello, I have just been diagnosed with Type2 and have to take Metformin 500mg with every meal. I have developed the most incredible bodily itching which is almost as bad as when I had eczema as a child leading to occasional bleeding. Has anyone else had this sort of allergic reaction and if so what have you done about it?

Reactions: 2 people

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had terrible itching when my levels were high. It's all gone now I've reduced to 5 - 6mmol/L. What are your BG levels?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I agree with carol. If my bs go high or I have too many carbs I itch.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had it for 7 months. It's actually how I found out I had diabetes.

Unfortunately, I was misdiagnosed by a dermatologist and given prednisone (a steroid known to elevate blood sugar levels).

That made the problem even worse and eventually put me in the hospital (blood sugar was higher than 28 mmol/L)

Long story short, within a week of getting my blood sugar back to normal levels, the rash went away.

Try to get your levels under control and see a doctor to make sure it's diabetes related. Unfortunately, I now have scars all over my back after having it for so long.

jg.paul86@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Soap operas.
I had terrible itching when my levels were high. It's all gone now I've reduced to 5 - 6mmol/L. What are your BG levels?
Thanks for your helpful input. As l am new to this I am not sure what my levels are. On Friday my doctor said my Habac1 was 6.5.

jg.paul86@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Soap operas.
I had it for 7 months. It's actually how I found out I had diabetes.

Unfortunately, I was misdiagnosed by a dermatologist and given prednisone (a steroid known to elevate blood sugar levels).

That made the problem even worse and eventually put me in the hospital (blood sugar was higher than 28 mmol/L)

Long story short, within a week of getting my blood sugar back to normal levels, the rash went away.

Try to get your levels under control and see a doctor to make sure it's diabetes related. Unfortunately, I now have scars all over my back after having it for so long.
Nice to know I am not the only one.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @jg.paul86@ :) - I only tend to have itching when I have eaten something really sugar laden. But, my GP prescribed Loratadine 10mg tablet (antihistamine) 1 a day for 3 - 4 days.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jg.paul86@ it could be something in the pill making you re-act or even the make of it. I was on Losartan and they couldn't get my usual 1 x 40mg so gave me 2 x 20mg instead. As soon as I took them my skin became v itchy and dry and my eczema flared up big time!! In the end I needed antihistamine and creams to sort it! As they were unaboe to get the same make as I always had they changed my pills!

jg.paul86@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Soap operas.
Thanks for your info. If this eczema type allergic reaction does not improve I shall have to ask to come off metformin and take something as an alternative or like you hope that it improves with antihistamines or similar creams.

Reactions: 2 people

Jean594

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have only just be diagnosed with Type 2 although it is in the family and was borderline last year, it is interesting what everyone says about blood sugar levels being high and being itchy. The last 8 mths has been hell, I have had eczema develop on my hands swollen, peeling and very itchy at night almost burning sensation. Very dry patches all over my body, legs , back and tummy and my arms look awful red, and spots which then bleed in the night. I have taken to wearing cotton gloves after applying Emmolient to my hands, and moisturize all over with a cream from Lush, or Aveeno cream and Eurax. The theory about high BS levels , I have often thought that is the case as when I have a glass of wine I can guarentee a bad night!! It is worse at night . I did ask the nurse last week when I was having a blood test to check my BS levels and she hadn't heard of it so reasurring to read the above comments. My question is what can I do, I haven't seen a nurse yet appt in 2 weeks, but have been put on Metformin fairly high dose 500mg twice a day , I am now reducing my carbs and sugars although not a big eater and not overweight either . I do have antihistamines which I got over the counter do they work? Thank you for reading , great to be able to share information and learn from others.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would advise you to get a meter and test, test, test. Your nurse will tell you that Type 2s do not need a meter but how are you supposed to know what foods is raising your blood glucose.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Jean594 - Hello :). Totally Agree with @carol43 invest in a Blood Glucose Meter it will be money well spent, and the most important piece of a Diabetics Kit. The SD Codefree Meter is popular as the Test Strips are the cheapest to buy,and if you buy in bulk they work out even cheaper.
State you are Diabetic for VAT exemption and for the UK it is mmol/l
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring
If you buy in bulk, these are the discount codes.
5 packs = 264086. 10 packs = 975833.

Jean594

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning Liam and Carol , thank you for your comments , 1 more week to go before I see the nurse . I will definitely push for a meter , interestingly I am sure my brother who also has type 2 has a meter but I will check . Have just spent a sleepless night because of intense irritation on my chest and arms , nothing helps ! I had sweet and sour sauce last night first time in a year , family meal would that have been the reason why? All day I had no sweet food not even a biscuit , I made some cheese and nut flapjacks for elevenses at work which is great .
Thanks for help X have a good day

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all. I have extremely severe psoriasis which qualifies me as the queen of itch and to add insult to injury I have eczema mixed in on my legs. I have tried a lot of things over the years for itch and here is a simple cheap one that helps a bit. Get a clean nylon stocking and put about 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal and 1/2 cup skim milk powder mixed together in it. Tie it shut so you have a large tea bag so to speak. You can continue up the stocking by tying 2 knots and cutting between. Put the oatmeal bomb in your bath, the water will look milky. Have a long soak. It sounds weird but it does help.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Itching is a well-known possible side effect of Metformin - albeit rarer than the digestive problems . You can also get dilatation of the blood capillaries leading to red skin (erythema), and hives.

Reactions: Struma

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I get hives from Metformin, the only thing the GP did was give me some stronger antihistamines, I only take them when it gets bad. Of course a quote from the GP "Metformin doesn't cause itching". Yeah really, tell that to my body.
I low carb, so I know its not my diet or washing powder etc.
I do have sensitive skin which does react to odd things, how is your reaction to stuff generally?

Jean594

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all , it seems that doctors don't want to listen or just don't know enough about Diabetes and all the related conditions. Looking forward to speaking with the nurse ! I have just brought some lush cream and and a bath bomb made out of oats so hopefully will help . Sounds a good idea diy bath bombs cheers