Back to exercise today

lely

Well an unexpected afternoon off today so I'm making the step to go back the gym, since getting my pump on 7th Dec.
I never really had control over BG in gym while on MDI. So it's all gonna be an education.
My usual routine was cardio and strength but since I'm aware these both affect BG in different ways of just gonna stick to about 45 inclined walk today see how that goes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @lely

Have just seen your post - how are you getting on at the gym? I started on a pump in October, and it felt like I had to re-learn everything since I started exercising regularly six months before that - I'd just got confident enough to exercise on MDI and had worked out how and when best to eat and inject and exercise, and then it felt like a massive step to get back to it!

It's still very much a learning process for me, but I've found to my intense surprise that an early morning 20 minute swim preceded by a small bowl of porridge (and followed by two eggs afterwards) requires a temporary basal rate of 150% for an hour and three quarters after I get out of the pool! The same intensity of swim at a different time of day though always results in a hypo, due I would think to more bolus insulin being on board. Still, the coffee machine at the gym does a lovely (free) latte which washes down glucose tablets a treat...

Looking forward to learning more about this sort of thing here: https://www.animascorp.co.uk/SportsWeekend

lely

Truthfully I gave the gym up after 3 visits and swinging BGs as I felt I needed to get all basal/bolus rates right. I have instead been doing Hiit workouts at home, 20 mins every other day. And I tend to drop rapidly while in the Hiit and then bg rockets after several hours so just using correction doses for that a the moment and still trying to work out when before is optimal time to reduce/ or turn off basal.
It's been a challenge for sure as I'm still trying to establish the normal day basal/bolus and as you know when your testing it's best to do no execise.
Minefield. I'd love to swim more though only been twice since pump and I miss it really. Not ideal for me to go early morning, my local pool is adults only till 9, and of course there's the school run.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, most definitely a minefield! I'm still not really knowing what's good/bad/right/wrong!

Once I'm a bit more confident with exercise I'm wanting to do the couch to 5k - the swimming has got me reasonably fit but I'd love to do other stuff. I don't know why I waited so long to get started so now I'm really keen on exercise, as long as I know I can be safe.

I do enjoy the swimming even though I don't even swim a recognisable stroke - I do a fast doggy paddle one way and a sculling backstroke back the other way - so although I swim as vigorously as I can, I win NO prizes for elegance.....

Lucky that the pool is only a quick drive away, and I don't have a school run to contend with.

Am not keen on the wet, the cold or the dark though, so anything that resembles any kind of running needs to wait until spring!