Background Retinopathy - v worried

david.bligh

I've been T1 diabetic for about 3.5 years now, with really bad control [HbA1C 12+]. Recently started on the pump and have seen great improvements [last one 8.3%, new exp. 5-6%].

At my last opticians appointment, they told me in a letter that there were signs of Background Retinoperphy, though there was no need to do anything now. This was after my pressure in my eyes went from 15 to 25 [unsure of the measurement name] from them inserting the drops. Told my diabetes consultant, who made a suggestion to my GP that he refers me to an opthamologist. I mentioned this to my DSN, who casually said I will prob just need some laser treatment :thumbdown:

Been for my peripheral vision test, where the conductor told me "there are things you should have seen clearer that you didn't, but the consultant will explain this at your appointment". I have my appointment with the Opthamologist this Thursday to talk about my results, and I think run a few more tests.

Am I screwed?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Re: Background Retinoperphy - v worried

Not necessarily screwed - improved BG control can halt and even reverse damage and nobody has mentioned any serious damage yet.

Your consultant will know what your prospects are, but the worst bit is waiting to get the information you need.

From what you have said it doesn't sound too bad at the moment - they have detected something happening and your results are not 100% but there are no signs of panic buttons being pressed.

Your Diabetic Nurse could have been a little more sympathetic, perhaps.

Your improved BG results sound really impressive - going from poorly controlled to well controlled must be a big boost for you.

Best of luck with your appointment.

Cheers

LGC

bonerp

I hope when you went on the pump they told you not to bring your Bgs under control too quickly? That can cause damage...it needs to be controlled and brought down slowly to limit damage to eyes

david.bligh

No not at all. In fact the opposite. My DSN was delighted when she saw my results! Don't feel like I can do anything right at the minute. :***:

onlytwintip

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I didn't have the best control (I blame that on being a fresher at Uni) and was also a heavy smoker. This freaked me out and I gave up smoking and starting taking better control. A couple of years on and there is no more sign of retinopathy. To be honest I'm not convinced there was to start of with and I think they lean on the extra-cautious side.

Hope that helps.

Harry