Background Retinopathy

CLP

Hi All

I've not posted on here for a while but yesterday had a bit of a nasty shock. I was diagnosed type 1 just over 2 years ago and my hba1c's have been around the high 5's low 6's. (I'm waiting for my most recent result). I had a screen for retinopathy last week and when the picture was taken the lady said it was fine, so I went away quite happy.

HOWEVER yesterday I got a letter from the hospital saying that my eyes were showing some signs of background retinopathy. This scared me half to death but also confused me. Reading up on it its usually 5 years before plus before you start to show signs of retinopathy so now I'm wondering have I been diabetic for longer than I thought (although being type 1 and it happening so fast I doubt this), or have they got my photo mixed up with someone else, OR is this possible?

I looked at the factors involved with retinopathy and I don't have high blood pressure, don't smoke but do drink (but don't we all! ;-) ).

Anyway I'm seeing the consultant next week anyway to get my latest results but am wondering if I should make another appointment for a scan to make sure.

What do people think?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
CLP said:
I had a screen for retinopathy last week and when the picture was taken the lady said it was fine, so I went away quite happy.

HOWEVER yesterday I got a letter from the hospital saying that my eyes were showing some signs of background retinopathy. This scared me half to death but also confused me. Reading up on it its usually 5 years before plus before you start to show signs of retinopathy so now I'm wondering have I been diabetic for longer than I thought (although being type 1 and it happening so fast I doubt this), or have they got my photo mixed up with someone else, OR is this possible?

I looked at the factors involved with retinopathy and I don't have high blood pressure, don't smoke but do drink (but don't we all! ;-) ).

Anyway I'm seeing the consultant next week anyway to get my latest results but am wondering if I should make another appointment for a scan to make sure.

What do people think?

Personally I think you should contact whoever sent you the letter and ask what it all means.....then if you are still concerned take the matter up with your Consultant when you next see him/her.

Sometimes they just mention things although there isn't really a problem.....only by discussing it with the people concerned will you find out what it means.

Ken