background retinopathy

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi just wondering has anyone ever had background rethinopathy here and was they able to reverse it make it go away reverse it with good diabetes control? as i have recently developed early background rethinopathy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Often you will here that people have been told they have background retinopathy only to be told years later that it has disappeared, certainly good bg control is paramount to avoid it escalating further, however if your bg has been running high for some time then it might be advisable to speak with your HCP's first about lowering your levels gradually (as sudden improvements in bg control can make the retinopathy worse).

I suffered from retinopathy for around 6 or 7 years, been clear now since 2005 so it's never to late to turn things around!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I had advanced retinopathy which I thought was incurable (as in, can stop it getting worse but can't get any better) but after lots of laser and an eye op, I saw the photos of my eyes with the doc and was astounded that a lot of the damage (cotton wool spots, exudates) is no longer there.
Also I used to get this flicker sensation in my vision first thing in the morning, as the blood supply to the eyes was impaired, but now this has gone (as there is less retina to supply with blood I suppose, the laser took a lot out)
So retinopathy can be reversed even at advanced levels.