Background retinopathy

embem

Hi,
Im 32 and been type 1 for nearly 10 years now. My latest eye photos show background retinopathy. My control is pretty good these days and im always working on improving my blood sugar levels. Does anyone know about the progression rates of retinopathy? I did read that it is reversible with good control, however I struggle to believe this as once the damage is done its generally there to stay! I really hope I can prevent it from progressing further with good control. Does anyone have experience of retinopathy?
Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hopefully your good control will stop it progressing further but there's no guarantees, also keep an eye on your bp and cholesterol levels as these need to be controlled with diabetic retinopathy.

The following website explains all there is to know about the condition and has some excellent advice and information:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

Reactions: 2 people

Adele99

If you can keep your blood levels in good order the chances are you'll be able to keep it at this level which is just in the background,

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My background retionopathy has completely cleared for 3 years now.

Largely due to the pump and having stable blood readings. I think personally that mine diappeared due to having minimal swings in my levels.

Don't get me wrong I have had days of set failures or occlusions etc that have caused major highs, however in the whole pattern of my levels they aren't frequent.

The best thing I have done is to have more fat and this was explained very clearly by Phoenix on a posting to me. Probably only been 8 weeks or a tad more since increasing fat like coconut oil and ground almond / blueberry muffins or lovely crustless quiches etc.. Even though my fluctuations in readings weren't too bad before, they are even better now.

Loving life

Reactions: 4 people

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with T2 two years ago and almost immediately found to have background retinopathy in both eyes. I also had a patch of Diabetic Macular Oedema. In the last month I had some treatment for the DMO. My retinopathy has now gone, in fact the consultant after talking about the DMO said 'other than that your eyes are fine'.

So it is possible to recover from retinopathy but it does take good control of three key things (wow their lectures did hit home) those being Blood Sugar, Cholesterol, and Blood Pressure. I managed to do this using a LCHF diet reducing and stabilising all three (plus lots of miles on my bike). The method in achieving them is important its the result which counts. The consultants said it is the only way to control the retinopathy.

A WORD OF WARNING: I have been told and it has been highlighted several times on this forum that a rapid drop in BS can initially increase the retinopathy so take it easy and look for long term reduction and stability.

Soph.A

Hi - ive just been reading through your replies as I have a friend who also suffers from background retinopathy, they are currently using a sleep mask called Noctura 400. So far they are getting on really well with the mask and have been getting great results from their regular eye appointments - thought it was worth sharing with you.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I am using this as well and getting good results :)

Jaclack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.
I was interested to read about the "sleep mask" where can I get one?
I am not sure it will will help me as I am in later stages of retinopathy,but anything is worth a try.
My first time on the forum so I just wantef to say its nice to meet you all

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi everyone.
I am not sure it will will help me as I am in later stages of retinopathy,but anything is worth a try.

Its not available on the NHS yet as its still undergoing trials I believe, but I'll tag @himtoo as he may be able to help you.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi everyone.

Hi @Jaclack
welcome to the forum :)
here is a link to the company www.noctura.com .
If you would like to make an enquiry, please call Kerry on 01740 625 181 -- she is really great and will talk you through all you need to know and the nearest place you can get one ( as long as you are in the UK )

Good Luck !!

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi embem I was diagnosed with this a couple of months ago and was devastated and I am 29 years old so understand completely. All the professional have contrasting information i am finding but that could just be me. However I am controlled to technically at 7.5 my blood pressure has always been low, so they think if i can get to 6.0 it will get better and not get worse. I am thinking of trying to get a CGM to help me. Have you consider this? if you don't already have it

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thanks for info him too,I don't need this at the moment,but,another arrow in the quiver.