1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Bad breath

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by taurusmmuk, Jul 31, 2014.

1. taurusmmuk

taurusmmuk Type 2 · Member

Hi all,
    I have bad breath & hope that it is related to diet/dehydration so I am asking if there is anything that I can do eating or drink wise to help the situation. I have looked on Google and it seems that I have about 73 fatal diseases so you will all have to reply quickly before I expire sometime next week.

I should add that I am diet controlled and I am almost vegan (meaning I try to not eat animal products but don't lose sleep if I slip up now & again) so I eat a lot of veggies & beans so that other end can be a bit smelly as well, what a life :) . I do have trouble drinking enough water because water seems to give me wind and I suppose that it is because I must be swallowing or gulping air when I drink water, also it doesn't taste all that good and I don't like artificial sweeteners so don't use diluting drinks.

I have seen that I can buy nasal irrigation kits on Amazon, has anyone tried them?

Thanks.
    Jim

My last HB whatsit thingy was 6.4 so I hope that I am doing something right, The DN put it down to me losing weight not my vegan diet.

2. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

my son had a problem with bad breath which wasnt down to his diet, he isnt diabetic but i am, he had a simus problem. They gave him a nasal spray and after 2 weeks the problem had gone

• Like Like x 2
  3. taurusmmuk

Thanks for that, I will mention it next time I am at the Medical Centre.

4. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mouthwash after brushing may help.

Beer has a lot of water in it ;-)

Cheers

LGC

• Like Like x 3
  5. Patricia21

Patricia21 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have started to drink more water,It tastes better with a slice of lemon orange and ice in.

• Like Like x 2
  6. taurusmmuk

This is probably too much information but I have false teeth and they are very well cleaned at night & after meals but it makes me wonder if I am missing something, Thanks anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  7. taurusmmuk

That sounds very refreshing, I will try that.

• Like Like x 2
  8. If you are low carbing you may have keto breath. It's not dangerous, just stinky.

• Like Like x 2
  9. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

You need to keep hydrated, just take regular sips of water rather than downing it all in one go. Good dental hygiene is important too, make sure you floss between your teeth and use a good quality toothpaste and mouthwash such as Listerine.

• Like Like x 2
  10. taurusmmuk

I am afraid my breath is just stinky according to my wife but I would rather know so that I can do something about it, I have smelt keto breath before & it is quite pleasant compared to my breath. I think that I may need to try a modified detox suitable for a diabetic.

11. When I had keto breath it was more like doggy breath :***: It settles down.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook