bad cholesterol result

shews

Just got my blood results afetr 2 months of low carb diet plan

HBA1c is 8.3% (down from 8.6 so at least its progress)

but shockingly my CHL has risen from 5.6 to 6.3!
And even worse apparently my LDL is 4.2 and HDL is 2.1
I thought it would be the other way round.

I'm so gutted and don't know what to do now. Shouls i stop eating so much fat or give it more time?

Feeling hopeless

Sal

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Shews ,don't panic!!
Apparently this happens at the beginning of low carbing.I'm sure one of our more clued up members will tell you the scientific reason for this.It does go down.
It happened to me when i first started but now my cholesterol ,trigs etc are all down ,well within normal limits.

Trinkwasser

Those numbers don't add up, they give you zero triglycerides!

Your HDL is astonishingly good. LDL is a bit high but with that HDL this may not be a problem

The problem is that Tchol - HDL - LDL *2.2 should give your your trigs and it doesn't!

shews

Hang on a minute you are right! I have just checked the results and the total is 6.6. Does that make more sense?
What does this mean?

So confused!!

Sal :?

Trinkwasser

That makes more sense, trigs are now 0.66 which is pretty excellent, which gives trigs/HDL of 0.6 which is better than mine. GO AWAY!!! <G>

That number is indicative of insulin resistance, and also cardiovascular risk, and needs to be below about 1.3, which you have very confortably exceeded.

It also suggests that your LDL will be predominantly large nondestructive molecules even though your number is a bit high.

It's plausible you may actually benefit from a statin in getting that LDL down. It's equally plausible that you may not in view of the other numbers.

You could try tweaking the fats in your diet, make sure you have a good balance between Omega 3s (high) and Omega 6s (low), if you were to add more sat fats they might go to HDL which is already impressively high, or you might try reducing them in favour of monounsaturates.

Really needs an expert opinion IMO, and more tests to see what the outcome is.