Bad day at work

Baltipal

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi all,
I had a rotten day at work on Thursday, massive drops in BG, I hit mid 2's twice with at one point a 5 m/mol drop in about an hour & a half!
I informed the First Aider I was having a problem to be told that I had to find the superviser & tell him. So I staggered off sort of sideways to find him to be met with blank stares & general lack of comprehension from both him & my manager.
Now, I've gone to pains to tell everyone that I'm diabetic & explain what to look for & where my dextrose is stashed so this situation left me abit worried. They aren't bad lads where I work & the gaffers don't give me any trouble about appontments & such but it concerned me that when I needed them to look out for me I found myself on my own!
I'm going to take in a printed explanation of a Hypo & some kind of expression of what I need from them on Monday, I just hope they take it onboard & just leave me hanging again.
What does everyone think I should put in it?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I think Diabetees Uk [used to] have an advice/ help card you could print out and keep in your wallet. You can tell your colleagues where it is Try their website.
Hana

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
By rights your firm should have done a risk assessment

Better to TUNE a few of your closest work mates IN whats what and the 1st aider
that --- if you looking or acting a bit odd to look out for you

inform them place you keep your goodies high fat coke and glucose tablets BG tester

and it very rarely ever happens to you BUT!!!!

below info from http://www.diabetes.org You could print this out and hand it in

Information on Hypo
Once you notice your hypo warnings, take action quickly or it is likely to become more severe, and you may become unconscious or have a fit.

Immediately treat with a 10-20g of a short-acting carbohydrate such as:

* a glass of Lucozade or non-diet drink
* three or more glucose tablets
* five sweets, eg jelly babies
* a glass of fruit juice

The exact quantity will vary from person to person.

If your hypo is more severe and you cannot treat it yourself, someone else can help you by:

* applying GlucoGel (or treacle, jam or honey) on the inside of your cheeks and gently massaging the outside of your cheeks.
* If you are unconscious, Glucagon can be injected if the person you are with has been trained to use it. Otherwise the people you are with should call an ambulance immediately.

Important: If you are unable to swallow or unconscious, you should not be given anything by mouth (including GlucoGel, treacle, jam or honey). Make sure your family and friends are aware of this. If you are unconscious, you should be placed in the recovery position (on your side with your head tilted back) so that your tongue does not block your throat.

Follow-on treatment

To prevent your blood glucose levels dropping again, you should follow your sugary foods with 10-20g of a longer-acting carbohydrate such as:

* half a sandwich
* fruit
* a small bowl of cereal
* biscuits and milk
* the next meal if due.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi
When you get a chance ask the designated first aider how long ago his course was.
The reason i'm asking is my better half attended a course that explained how to treat a diabetic person in distress . So it may be that the first aider just needs a refresher.
Also keep some sweets in your meter folder. :D
Hope this helps JF.