Bad hypo

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh dear, haven't had one of these for a while. Had a shower straight after dinner tonight so didn't test beforehand (as I was 6.8 before dinner). I must've over-estimated the carbs (plus I'd had a bit of exercise a few hours before). Felt a bit shaky coming out of the shower but had left my tester downstairs so I ate some of my Easter Lindt chocolates that just happened to be upstairs. I think I stuffed myself as felt very very sick especially after also eating my dinner! For some reason I didn't think to test myself when I got downstairs (I didn't make a conscious decision not to, it just didn't cross my mind). I had to pop next door to persuade my children to come home after playing there and was probably over there for 30 mins or so. Did a test when I got home: 1.4 (so this was about 45 mins after stuffing myself with chocolate). I guess I was so low that I wasn't thinking straight at all. Have now downed lucozade and have the post hypo exhaustion setting in. I foresee a challenging evening ahead.

:(

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Crumbs! There is nothing like kids to take the attention off treating yourself and on to caring for them. I hope you are able to get an early night. That exhaustion feeling is like having run a 10K. :-(

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hope you feel better soon!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope your OK now Lucie.

Two things to keep in mind, the heat of the water from a shower or bath will increase the rate in which your insulin is absorbed so don't take one soon after injecting, also chocolate isn't the best hypo treatment due to the fat content, better to have Lucozade/JB's/Glucotabs if possible when you feel that you are dropping really low.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hope you feel better now :)

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Two things to keep in mind, the heat of the water from a shower or bath will increase the rate in which your insulin is absorbed so don't take one soon after injecting, also chocolate isn't the best hypo treatment due to the fat content, better to have Lucozade/JB's/Glucotabs if possible when you feel that you are dropping really low.

No I know Noblehead and I do have lucozade by my bed but I went straight for the chocolates! Can't explain it other than having the need to feast! Must've been hypo hunger, even though I soon felt quite sick.

iHs

Chocolate makes you feel good (serotonin effect) so thats why you were able to be okish even though you were low on yr bg meter. You will probably go a bit high due to the delayed rise of the choc. Take it all in yr stride....2moz is another day....next time try to use 3 jellybabies or some lucozade or something similar. Pumps are a learning curve....youll be ok

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read where someone here has glucose at floor level in every room of the house for hypos

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm one of those. Windowsills, room corners and all rooms covered. I used to use lucozade bit found the tops impossible to open once the drink was started and even worse when I was having a hypo. The measured glucojuic bottles are much easier and I don't overdo the glucose as easily as I used to do with the big bottles of lucozade (been known to down much to much in my moment of hypo panic).

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Me too. The horror stories of a real hypo are great encouragement.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope your OK now Lucie.

Yep, I can relate to that.. The wife & I had the Monday off. I'd had a hypo early hours of the morning. Went back to bed after treatment. Got up at about half 7 with respectable pre breakfast test results injected, ate & took a shower... Just getting out of the shower & hello baby hypo number two.
So I treat that with more breakfast feeling like a pig & testing 10 on the rise.. (Guilty for that.) & respectable to drive. Then blow me a couple of hours later while out I start going down again.! The rest of the day was un eventful & the figures evened out..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm one of those. Windowsills, room corners and all rooms covered. I used to use lucozade bit found the tops impossible to open once the drink was started and even worse when I was having a hypo. The measured glucojuic bottles are much easier and I don't overdo the glucose as easily as I used to do with the big bottles of lucozade (been known to down much to much in my moment of hypo panic).

I'm ok at home.. (Live in a bungalow.)
When traveling, I only know one place, which is a black computer back pack I use for traveling & kept next to the hotel bed. Ironically it has a shed load of pockets with zips which makes an event a little like the Krypton Factor.. Lol
I've tried the simple approach of putting the sweets on the bedside. But my auto pilot goes straight into rummage the bag mode...

iHs

The best way to keep lucozade ok for whenever it needs to be used, is to transfer it into a flip top bottle as then you dont have to wrestle to get that dreadful hard to undo red cap cos its gummed up sugar. There are loads of these flip top bottles about (Lucozade Sport uses them and loads of fruit juices for kids for kids have them too).

Reactions: 5 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ouch. Yeah I hate when I get down into the 1's, usually at night and the next day almost always sucks.

The most recent I was heading downstairs to grab something to eat (middle of night) to treat it and my legs gave way on the stairs, luckily I more or less did an unexpected sit down on the stairs then slid to the bottom. I don't think I have ever known my wife move that fast. The following day she bough a case of Lucozade sweets so that I now have a pack on every single floor in the house and in every jacket. To be fair her work is keeping her away from home quite a bit and I think she was worried about be going up and down stairs to treat this when I am home alone.

The Lucozade tables work well enough and I have found that 1 sweet = 1 mmol/l for BG which is nice, though sometimes when I am really low I find it takes me a couple of attempts to work out how many I need to eat, apparently it is really quite hard to add 1.(something) and 5 when you are nice and low. Also they take much less space than the bottles :)

/A

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I contacted Lucozade a couple of months ago asking if they would consider changing all their bottle tops to flip-tops (seeing as the medical profession that drum the need for lucozade into all diabetics are probably responsible for a large proportion of their annual sales!) I've had an acknowledgement. I don't really expect to hear anything further.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add to the story, after my bg had risen I ventured back upstairs after the kids had gone to bed to find chocolate wrappers EVERYWHERE. I really did have a magnificent feast...shame I can't remember it. :eek:

Reactions: 9 people