Bad illness (high temperature), feeling better for 2.5 days but insulin sensitivity still down!

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I got stuck down with an illness about 10 days ago and I've been feeling better for over 2 days now. I'm taking between 50% and 100% more insulin for my boluses and 50% more for my basal and it doesn't seem to be changing. My main symptom was a high temperature and I spent the best part of 6 days in bed. I also had a minor cough and dribbling nose. Half-way in I noticed I had some lumps on the back of my tongue (enlarged taste buds I think) and they haven't gone away yet although I think they've decreased in size. Do you think my insulin sensitivity will return to normal? Should I go to see my gp? Thank you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your insulin sensitivity should return to normal once your illness has cleared up, but if you concerned by all means see your gp, you might also want to speak with your DSN about managing your bg levels whilst poorly.

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definately happens, and it make me sad every time. Suddenly insulin doies next to nothing and carbs spike me crazily high.

Hang in there, don't get too zelous with your boluses and wait a couple ofhours between doses or you'll be dropping like a rock before you know it.

I usually take a good week after infection/illness before I back to my usual ratio's and routine.

Reactions: 2 people

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definately happens, and it make me sad every time. Suddenly insulin doies next to nothing and carbs spike me crazily high.

Hang in there, don't get too zelous with your boluses and wait a couple ofhours between doses or you'll be dropping like a rock before you know it.

I usually take a good week after infection/illness before I back to my usual ratio's and routine.
Thanks for the reassurance. Your experience sounds similar to my own one. I went to the gp who put me on 5 days amoxicillin partly because i was going on holiday. Yesterday, 3 days into the medication, my blood glucose became normal again. I wont know whether it came down of its own accord but its a relief anyway. Cheers!