bad injections

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hiya i am chloe and i have been diabetic for a year and 3 months now and i am 11
at the moment i am struggling with my injections and i cry alot of the time and i bruise alot when i do it,
i just wondered if anyone had some advice? it would really help.
chloe. xx

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Hey.
I've been diabetic since I was nine. yes, it sucks and you can feel bad about it.

What size needles are you using?
Where are you injecting?
Where do you keep your insulin etc?

If you use a too long needle, that can hurt, i found the syringes hurt much more than the pens.
Some sites hurt more than others.
I hate using my bum as it always hurts. My stomach, upper arms, and legs work great.
If the insulin gets cold, as it can in this weather, that can hurt too.

Just a few things to think about.

jopar

Hi chloe

Are the tears because you worried that the injection is going to hurt and bruise?

There several things you can do that might be helpful..

Try to not think about your injection until you have to do it, sounds hard I know, but the longer you fret over a pending injection the more stressed and tense you become, and the more likely that your fears of it hurting and bruising are going to happen... So do try if you can

You can also get from your diaebtic nurse/GP, a cream that numbs the area you intend to inject, I can't off hand remember it's name, you rub it onto the area wait 5 minutes or so then inject. Using this can also help with the first suggestion as well.

I would have see if you can pop in to speak to your diaebtic nurse to discuss your problems, as it may well be that because you'll a year older and grown a bit more, that changing the size of your needle might suit you a lot better and she can also check your techique to ensure that this isn't adding to any problems..

Others may come along with some other suggestions to try, but in the mean time please try to relax and try the best you can not to worry about it all

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Chloe,
Sorry to hear your having a rough time of it lately, Andrews been where you are now and i can truely synpathize with you. The cream Jopar is referring to is called Elma, and it does work though Andrew found it took a good 20 minutes to nunb the area, by which time he got fed up, because he either forgot to put in on , or was too late with it. Anyhow he did over come it , changing sites helped big time, thats when he choose to do Levemir in legs only and Humalog in belly.
Hope you had a good Christmas, we did, though Andrew spent New Years Eve in hospital with a diarhhoea and sickness bug, but hes fine now.
Take care Chloe, thinking of you and hoping you get over this soon,
Suzi x

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Chloe, sorry to hear you are having some problems with injections. I have been diabetic since I was 12 and I find the best way to avoid pain and bruising is to always rotate your injection site, don't get into the habit of using the same area each time, unless it's the opposite side of your tummy. Try and rotate between left side of your tummy, right side, left thigh, right thigh etc and try and take your time as bruises tend to happen if I am rushing! another tip would be if you feel that it is hurting and you haven't started to release the insulin, stop, take the needle out, take a breath and then try again in a new site. Don't feel that you have to continue if it hurts!

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hiya everyone,
thanx for all your advice,
i have the smallest needle possible and i use a pen for my novorapid and levemier,
i have tried the cream before but it didnt seem to help a huge amount but i could try it again,
i am seeing a phsycoligist every tuesday every week/two weeks for children with long term illness and that does help alot.
i store my insulin in the fridge but take it out at least a day before it is used.
i cant think were this is coming from but thank you for all your advice i will take it on bored.
that is bad news about adrew sorry to here that i bet it was a bit of a problem!- the week before christmas i had to have the parememdic out to me because i had a bad hypo and ended up going to the childrens ward at 10:30 pm and getting out at 2:30am! it was a long wait!
thanks again- chloe.xx

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Chloe.

I don't have any suggestions as I know nothing about injecting insulin, but I wanted to say a big hello to you because I remember when you first joined and I was very impressed with your attitude to having diabetes.

You can do it lass, I know you can. Grit your teeth and hang on, it will get better.

Proud of you.

wiflib

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hiya again,
thanks everyone for your advice ive taken it on boared, i think its because im fixed on doing it in the one leg and its getting really bruised and it hurts sometimes but i dont want to do it anywhere else because i think it hurts more in my tummy or my other leg- i dont know what to do does anyone have any advice??/ it would help alot??
thanks again- chloe.x

leggott

Hi Chloe, I am 7 years old and I hate having my injections too. I will only have it in my right leg and right arm. My mum still does my injections as I'm too scared to do it. I did try before but made a big bruise so I prefer my mum to do it. I still get upset each time and do cry a lot, so I can understand how you feel. My brother who is 5 also has diabetes, but he is ok with the injections and is very brave. I hope we can overcome this problem soon. Ella.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Chloe,
I'm sorry to hear your still finding it hard to inject and finding it painful. I remember once numbing Andrews leg with a sugar free ice pop, then after injecting he got to eat it, that was back in the very early days. He's still as skinny as ever and injects his Levemir in alternative legs night and morning, and does all his humalog in his tummy, either side of his belly button. He finds his legs hurt too sometimes, usually because he injects in the same area too often. I wish there was a magic wand to make injecting less painful for you all.
Take care and hope things get easier soon,
Suzi x

Shazza

Hi Chloe, Ewan is 11 he takes 4 injections a day so does both legs and both sides of tummy, occasionally I,ll do his arms but he isnt keen on me doing it. Rotating the sites def helps tho as when Ewan 1st started he would always inject his legs and they got sore. Sometimes he still says it is sore, I dont know if the cold weather makes it worse? I agree with Suzi a magic wand would be great for you all :D

Take Care x