1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bad little toe

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by helen1975, Dec 8, 2014.

1. helen1975

helen1975 · Member

Hi I want advice about my teen daughter(17) is type 2 and her little toe looks like a blood blister on the bottom but has started to go a bit purple by the nail she says the toe is hurting but will not go to doctors

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Most certainly go to the Dr's.

3. helen1975

helen1975 · Member

Thanks I'm new to this and she is not wanting to test each day thinks she knows best. I can't hold her down each time to test her

4. Johnroy

Johnroy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Best advice above, see doctor or at least diabetic nurse. I had blood blister on toe last month. Nurse kept eye on it every week and then made appointment for me at diabetic foot clinic at hospital. They removed the blister which had healed fully underneath. So no problem. But, it really does need looking at by those with the experience.

5. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

even she knows she needs to see the dr, does she have a nurse she ok with?
    as you know, harping at her will only make it worse, teens can see the meter as a pass or fail and not a tool to help with insulin..if her numbers are rubbish, who wants to see then 7 times a day and feel a failure.

there is a teen care line, she can just ring
    http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Teens/Help-and-support/We-can-help/Careline/

http://behavioraldiabetesinstitute.org/print-preview/BDITeenEtiquette.pdf

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/careline

• Like Like x 2
  6. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Would it be possible for your daughter to visit a podiatrists, They will give expert advice on how your daughter can look after her feet.
    I hope your daughter is wearing sensible footwear etc; ( sounds as if her toes are rubbing inside the shoe as the wound has reached the nail area )
    If the pain gets worse good sense will force your daughter to seek professional help.
    Brave girl, yet stubborn.:)
    best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  7. helen1975

helen1975 · Member

Just asked very nicely to her about doctors tomorrow as she is not working and she said she will go so fingers crossed

• Like Like x 2
  8. helen1975

helen1975 · Member

9. Lenny3

Lenny3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Tell her its rather difficult to wear high heels without your toe! Looks even worse in strappy sandals! Might encourage her.

10. helen1975

helen1975 · Member

Told her about people lose there toes and her answer was well I've got fat feet any way. Just want to shake her and get some sense into her

11. lizbet9

lizbet9 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has lost three toes, has had to wear casts for the last three years due to ulcers, recently has had surgery to treat a knee infection 10 weeks of antibiotics on iv 8 in hospital due to not looking after her sugars (she's a type 1) - please see a doctor

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook