Bad nightime hypo

sophsmam

Our daughter had her first bad nightime hypo.She woke up shaking,couldn't move her arms or legs,legs and arms numb,couldn't speak to be able to shout for us.she was seeing objects moving and people walking.Now she is one scared little girl and so are we.She is at the hospital this afternoon to have a machine fitted for the next 3 days to monitor her bloods.we've reduced her levemir by 5 units we suspected that she was.doesn't seem to be enough yet so hopefully once her dose is correct it may not happen again.
Can anyone suggest anything that if it did happen again she could alert us.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Sophsmam,

That sounds like a awful experience that your daughter had, and can well understand that you are both worried about this occurring again. Hopefully the continuous bg monitor may pick up on any hypoglycemic episodes, and her HCP can advise on making the adjustments necessary to insulin to prevent these hypo's happening again. Sorry I can't offer any other advice, but good luck and I hope you find a solution soon.

Nigel

leggott

Hi, Sorry to hear about your daughter. Again I can't really offer much advice but hope that the CGM can provide you with some answers. It sounds like you done exactly the right thing by reducing the levemir and with some overnight monitoring it should shed some light on the problem.

We've been having problems with our son. He started to wake with high readings. We thought we needed to up his levemir, but having done several night times tests, we come to the conclusion that he was dropping low in the night and his liver was dumping extra glucose resulting in high readings in the morning. Unfortunately they don't have a CGM in our area, so I've been getting up at all hours to do checks. But I have to tell you that it is a real eye opener as to what goes on over night! Leggott

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I got up and checked Khaleb last night at 1.30am and he was 4.1. I gave him some milk with a little glucose powder and he woke up with bsl 11 this morning. I'm thinking I should of got up a second time and checked (I hate getting up twice in a night). Did I give him too much or did he continue to drop? Like Leggott wrote - it is a real eye opener when you do see how much they can rise and fall over night. I always thought Khaleb's lowest was around 2am but I've found he drops around 4am quite sharply aswel.

Without getting up to check all the time or having CGM there is always the chance of a hypo at night. I think we just have to live with this fact and hopefully we can all react as well as you when it happens. I can only think of putting a baby monitor in her room at night so you might be able to hear her if she is able to talk or make some noise. Your daughter probably isn't young enough to think that is okay, though! A pump and CGM would alarm but I believe they send out a lot of false alarms also.

Khaleb's been hypo for what seems like no reason. Sometimes he becomes sick a few days later so I figure that was the cause. Last night I just think I didn't give him enough supper.

Sorry to hear you and your daughter have had such a fright. Sleep is very important so I hope you can still manage to get some peaceful nights in the future.