Balance: Very few carbs diet effective! New letter Nov. 2014

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The latest issue of Balance (March April), page 23 "Diagnoses: Diabetes" featuring 4 doctors:
Drs ... worked together to manage diabetes effectively .... low calorie diet ... mainly based on salad, vegetables & nuts. with very few carbs. .... He lost more than 12 Kg, regulated his glucose levels & reduced his A1c from 10% to 6% (86 to 42...

So consultant diabetologists treating T2D doctors recommend "very few carbs" so why don't they recommend carb restriction to their other patients?

======
See page 3 of this thread for a new letter to Balance - & the reply.

When will they EVER take notice of those who buy the magazine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I do believe it is under discussion at the annual conference soon ...

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I saw this too! Makes you wonder. I've been low carb since August. Lost almost 4 stone.
Found high fat difficult because of brainwashing but realised I had to do something as I am now 10 stone and don't think I should lose any more weight.
Wonder what his cholesterol readings are? Mine gave gone upto total 6.9, but trigs are 0.6 and HDL is 1.6.
Have got to explain myself next Friday to the diabetes nurse.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cutting out bread, potatoes and pasta and you will lose weight?

What an outrageous suggestion :)

Reactions: 16 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We see what we want to: :cool: :)
Ian sees ' low in carbs'
I see diet low in calories, so necessarily low in carbs but also low in sat fats because of it's plant base ( mainly un saturated fats and protein plus some carbs in the nuts) .Unsurprisingly it causes weight loss and lower glucose levels.
I wonder how low it was in calories , maybe it could be the more natural equivalent of the shakes in the Newcastle diet.

Reactions: 7 people

cusaunders

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
injustice, dishonesrty, mushy peas!!
The latest issue of Balance (March April), page 23 "Diagnoses: Diabetes" featuring 4 doctors:

So consultant diabetologists treating T2D doctors recommend "very few carbs" so why don't they recommend carb restriction to their other patients?

I find it so difficult to cut down on my carbs - adore bread, potatoes, rice and pasta but they certainly don't like me!!! what does everyone else use to compensate?

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cauliflower for mash and rice. Get must carbs from green types of veg and sweet potatoes - heaven. Have an unhealthy obsession for sugar free jelly - obviously no carbs in that.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

cusaunders

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
injustice, dishonesrty, mushy peas!!
Thanks for suggestions Mrs V - love sweet potatoes and use sugar-free jellies already

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
We see what we want to: :cool: :)
Ian sees ' low in carbs'
I see diet low in calories, so necessarily low in carbs but also low in sat fats because of it's plant base ( mainly un saturated fats and protein plus some carbs in the nuts) .Unsurprisingly it causes weight loss and lower glucose levels.
I wonder how low it was in calories , maybe it could be the more natural equivalent of the shakes in the Newcastle diet.

I see the low calorie diet I lost weight on there as well.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ian
There must have been a speck of sawdust in my eye since I misread your title as' very few diets effective' which I agree with. When I read it the post I answered the substance of the actual post with what I thought was a rational comment about differences in perception, no more, no less. It was complete with 'smilies' I which used to convey inflexion.
Not feeling so cool now. TBH, I'm fed up with people sticking other people into little boxes , labelling them and creating a totally unnecessary them and us animosity.
I don't often let these things get to me but it has recently.
Tomorrow is a another day and actually an appropriate day for me and I would hope others to think about this.
(and please leave it at that)

Reactions: 11 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Instead of potatoes, rice, pasta and bread , you could try lots of green veggies or Puy lentils. Have a look at Jamie Oliver. Found quite a few of his recipes helpful. Will try and dig out title of book later. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Deleted a few of the previous posts that were getting a bit aggressive. Happy for the thread to continue but keep it friendly, folks :)

Reactions: 7 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
The counter argument that I would suggest is that low-cal diets work because they are, by necessity, low-carb and not just because they leave you energy deficient. The fact that they are energy deficient means that they are impossible to stick to because your body is specifically designed to react very strongly to energy deficiency.

Starvation is not a viable approach to food; your body will quite rightly consider that an emergency situation and will start to respond in kind by slowing your metabolism, making you hungry (so you prioritise eating) burning fats and in the long run burning muscle.

So, the solution is to then stay low carb but get the necessary energy for your body from fats and proteins.

By the way if there is 'speck' in Phoenix's eye does that imply there is a 'beam' in Ian's? If so that's a bit harsh.

'First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win' as my good friend Mohandas K Gandhi said.

Best

Dillinger

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 people

jim curran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
soaps,reallity TV
Been Type 2 about 2 years,on 4 Metformin & one injection of Victoza a day.For past 3 weeks have cut out bread,potatoes,rice and pasta.
Lost maybe 7-8 lbs,but am suffering from severely loose bowels,when I have to go I have to go.
Any sugestions

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Been Type 2 about 2 years,on 4 Metformin & one injection of Victoza a day.For past 3 weeks have cut out bread,potatoes,rice and pasta.
Lost maybe 7-8 lbs,but am suffering from severely loose bowels,when I have to go I have to go.
Any sugestions
Hi Jim. Can I suggest you start another thread asking your question in the type 2 area. You'll get more replies there;)

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Any sugestions

This could be your metformin; you can get a slow release version that is kinder on the stomach. If it is more diet related try to ensure you are are eating fibrous vegetables and failing that try some fiber supplements like psyllium husks.

You may just have a non related case of diarrhea though!

Best

Dillinger

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The counter argument that I would suggest is that low-cal diets work because they are, by necessity, low-carb and not just because they leave you energy deficient. The fact that they are energy deficient means that they are impossible to stick to because your body is specifically designed to react very strongly to energy deficiency.

Starvation is not a viable approach to food; your body will quite rightly consider that an emergency situation and will start to respond in kind by slowing your metabolism, burning fats and in the long run burning muscle.

So, the solution is to then stay low carb but get the necessary energy for your body from fats and proteins.

By the way if there is 'speck' in Phoenix's eye does that imply there is a 'beam' in Ian's? If so that's a bit harsh.

'First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win' as my good friend Mohandas K Gandhi said.

Best

Dillinger

I wouldn't dispute low cal is low carb.
It has to be.
Low protein and low fat as well.

As to calories deficient diets, I read this in another link this morning.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/7-obesity-myths-shattered-1.1306077

myth no 3.
"Large, rapid weight loss is associated with poorer long-term weight outcomes than is slow, gradual weight loss."

So, if it is a reasonable debate, I don't feel my body had to respond in kind by slowing my metabolism, I quite agree though, I have burnt a lot of fat, and kept up the exercise to dramatically improve my muscle.

And my target diet now is balanced calories, no net gain/deficit, and 33% of calories from each food group..

Don't know about Gandhi's quote, I can't claim to have even met him, as far as I'm concerned, either we win, or diabetes' wins, how we do it doesn't matter, so long as it suits us.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
This is my letter to Balance:

I was very interested to read in the March/April "Balance" the article "Diagnosis Diabetes." Iin particular, I note that Dr Landeck, advised by Dr Barnard, adopted a diet "based mainly on salads, vegetables, nuts, with very few carbs." In 3 months "he lost more than 12 Kg, regulated his glucose levels & reduced his A1c from 10% to 6%."
That is an impressive achievement, that makes me wonder why Diabetes UK warn against adopting a low carb diet, when they advise that diabetes is progressive.

In my own experience, I followed the D uk recommended high complex carb diet from diagnosis for over 7 years until crippling complications forced me to look for other options. Cutting down on carbs improved my control & restored my health to the extent that 6 years of a low carb, increased fat diet hs cleared ALL the complications so that I am well & active at 75.

I hope the experience of your contributing doctors & consultants will lead to a low carb diet being included in the advice given to newly diagnosed patients.

We are advised that T2D is progressive, however well we follow the diet recommendations. You warn against a low carb diet, as its potential long term dangers are unknown. The usual monitoring would show up any dangers. In my experience, 6 years has shown only benefits.

Ian Day

Reactions: 15 people