Ban on junk food adverts before 9pm being considered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
But even without adverts they are still confronted with the fast food outlets every time they go out that can't be avoided.

Yes, cigarettes are locked up, out of site in supermarket's and still people start smoking. The 4 girls I worked with all smoke and are aged 18 to 23 !

A reverse pyschology could be put in place, as telling or showing the majority of people what NOT to do and why, does not work.:rolleyes:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is a previous DCUK Newsbot thread along similar lines on radical advertisingchanges:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...changes-to-drive-down-obesity-numbers.160861/

Mr Watson told the audience that "advertising has an awesome power to shape our lifestyles". He added: "We face a public health crisis in the UK, and one of the main causes is refined sugar in our foods and drinks. "The results are horrific: 26,000 children hospitalised with rotten teeth. The worst obesity rates in western Europe. And the catastrophe of type 2 diabetes, taking lives and costing the NHS £10 billion a year. "I'm making it my political mission to change this. That's why I've launched an independent commission into how we reverse the increase in type 2 diabetes in a single parliament." He is calling for social prescribing by GPs, more taxes on sugar in food and drinks, stronger regulations on packaging and labels and "radical changes" to the way junk food is marketed. He added: "I want you to think deeply about how advertising could help transform the lives of Britain's 3.7 million identified diabetics."”

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Here is a previous DCUK Newsbot thread along similar lines on radical advertisingchanges:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...changes-to-drive-down-obesity-numbers.160861/

Mr Watson told the audience that "advertising has an awesome power to shape our lifestyles". He added: "We face a public health crisis in the UK, and one of the main causes is refined sugar in our foods and drinks. "The results are horrific: 26,000 children hospitalised with rotten teeth. The worst obesity rates in western Europe. And the catastrophe of type 2 diabetes, taking lives and costing the NHS £10 billion a year. "I'm making it my political mission to change this. That's why I've launched an independent commission into how we reverse the increase in type 2 diabetes in a single parliament." He is calling for social prescribing by GPs, more taxes on sugar in food and drinks, stronger regulations on packaging and labels and "radical changes" to the way junk food is marketed. He added: "I want you to think deeply about how advertising could help transform the lives of Britain's 3.7 million identified diabetics."”

A good speech from Mr Watson, but what will come of it, who knows? and with children getting type 2 diabetes it is indeed, shocking and worrying. So many things are 'on tap' now, apps on phones for food outlet's, less exercise, because of more sedentary lifestyles, kids with their faces in a screen all the time, action needs to be put into place now.
It's a big wake up call for the 21st century.........................

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr Watson added: "It is clear that McDonald's Monopoly is a danger to public health. Businesses have a moral responsibility to their customers, and as a society we have a responsibility to safeguard the health of our children." “

@Tom Watson

I am right behind you on the advertisng and also campaigns such as the Monopoly Game used by MacDonalds.

Last edited: