banned low carb diet tv doco in Australia

aimee11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
this documentary has caused some waves and got banned immediately and is no longer available on the tv site for viewing but it is still on youtube

in case you want to see what all the fuss is about that caused it to be banned

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Brilliant documentary!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd wait till mon and the IT guys are back at work, before I would say banned..it's a dead link for now, but it is a good programme

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Susie sounds a sensible person that i would be happy to see, a lot better than the dietitian that I saw and on face value there is nothing I disagree with. I think she has the wrong end of the stick about the show, when interviewed and I hope she saw it when it aired

Dietitian and Nutritionist Susie Burrell takes issue with Catalyst’s claim that this lower carb diet is a new idea: “Despite Catalyst and various self proclaimed experts believing they have found a new miracle approach to the ideal dietary prescription, more thorough research would show that over the past 10 years, in line with the significant reductions in physical activity in the western world, there has been recommendations for a lower carbohydrate intake. It is not a new idea.

Burrell’s message is simple: “If you sit down all day, you probably need fewer carbs than you think. Our carbs should always come from vegetables, fruits, legumes and controlled portions of wholegrains which offer vitamins, minerals and most importantly fibre which is crucial for gut health.” There are no surprises about which carbs are still out: “Refined carbs such as white rice, white bread, processed snack foods and fast food are out” because they are “nasty carbs that do damage to our health long term”.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dietitian and Nutritionist Susie Burrell takes issue with Catalyst’s claim that this lower carb diet is a new idea: “Despite Catalyst and various self proclaimed experts believing they have found a new miracle approach to the ideal dietary prescription, more thorough research would show that over the past 10 years, in line with the significant reductions in physical activity in the western world, there has been recommendations for a lower carbohydrate intake. It is not a new idea.
Try 1863 - William Banting's Letter on corpulence addressed to the public

this documentary has caused some waves and got banned immediately and is no longer available on the tv site for viewing but it is still on youtube
What an amateur - publish a book, and you can claim anything, even obviously nonsensical rubbish, without ever getting sued.

As far as the documentary goes, it seems mostly like Noaks repeating the same old rubbish (it's not true that carbs spike insulin release the most, which you'd know if you did any actual research instead of just sitting in an office developing a theory; neither is it true that protein universally makes you feel more full - it's actually cooked potatoes - but again that would require you to understand the basics of science... Much easier to stay in your office and come up with a rationalisation for why you've been right all along).

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats

What an amateur - publish a book, and you can claim anything, even obviously nonsensical rubbish, without ever getting sued.

As far as the documentary goes, it seems mostly like Noaks repeating the same old rubbish (it's not true that carbs spike insulin release the most, which you'd know if you did any actual research instead of just sitting in an office developing a theory; neither is it true that protein universally makes you feel more full - it's actually cooked potatoes - but again that would require you to understand the basics of science... Much easier to stay in your office and come up with a rationalisation for why you've been right all along).
Totally disagree with your views, Have you ever tried a Low Carb High Fat Diet.
I have and it works, both on weight, and HbA1c reduction

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm no scientist, but I agree that cooked potatoes do appear to fill me up best, particularly mashed ones. However the full feeling doesn't last for long and then I'm craving more carbs again to stave off hunger. I found by experimenting (long before I had type 2 or had ever heard of any forums) that if I ate exactly the same meal, with the same size portions of everything else and simply cut out the potatoes, I wasn't hungry until my next meal time. How strange is that?

Reactions: 12 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm no scientist, but I agree that cooked potatoes do appear to fill me up best, particularly mashed ones. However the full feeling doesn't last for long and then I'm craving more carbs again to stave off hunger. I found by experimenting (long before I had type 2 or had ever heard of any forums) that if I ate exactly the same meal, with the same size portions of everything else and simply cut out the potatoes, I wasn't hungry until my next meal time. How strange is that?
Not picking on you Zand, jut using you as an example.

Personally I woudl disagree with this, but I'm not wholly sold on the protein makes you feel fuller longer idea either.

I have had some sucess with a fat and protein combination though, and find it easy to go from 6:30am to lunchtime on a cup of bulletproof coffee and a handful of nuts or a piece of cheese. This morning's whoel grain porridge with fruit and nuts and lashings of cream did me very well

I try and stay away from the refined carbs apart from when exercising, and potatoes except when unavoidable.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

You seem disturbed that the documentary doesn't fit your theory of nutrition. Oh well.

As for rationalizing, I don't need to rationalize because I've done a personal experiment with LCHF versus low fat high carb diet. The LCHF diet has improved my BMI, fasting blood glucose, HbA1C, blood pressure, plasma, triglyceride and cholesterol. How do you explain that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people
C

catherinecherub

Not picking on you Zand, jut using you as an example.

Personally I woudl disagree with this, but I'm not wholly sold on the protein makes you feel fuller longer idea either.

I have had some sucess with a fat and protein combination though, and find it easy to go from 6:30am to lunchtime on a cup of bulletproof coffee and a handful of nuts or a piece of cheese. This morning's whoel grain porridge with fruit and nuts and lashings of cream did me very well

I try and stay away from the refined carbs apart from when exercising, and potatoes except when unavoidable.

Some foods can more easily contribute to the feeling of fullness (satiety) than others, and this is referred to as their "satiating power". The calorie-counting tables, used widely by slimmers and the weight conscious, do not necessarily reflect this satiating power and studies examining the effects of foods on "feelings of fullness" can be helpful. In one study of 38 common foods, both men and women subjects consumed foods with equal calorie contents and their feelings of fullness were recorded every 15 minutes for 2 hours. Highest satiating power was found with high levels of protein, dietary fibre and water and low satiating power was related to higher fat foods. Fruit and vegetables-especially boiled potatoes-proved to have high satiating values, whereas bakery products like cakes, croissants and biscuits were the least satiating foods. Protein-rich foods (fish, meat, baked beans, lentils and eggs) and carbohydrate-rich foods (pasta, rice, wholegrain breads and cereals) were among the most satiating foods.

The large number of different factors that affect appetite and food intake complicates studies in the area of hunger and satiety. In addition to food types, satiety ratings and palatability, social settings, customs, education levels, income, serving sizes and even mood are just some of the factors that can affect food intake and body weight. Scientists are still working on unravelling all of the factors influencing what we eat and why.
http://www.eufic.org/article/en/artid/what-makes-us-feel-full

Can water help us feel fuller for longer?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/slim/soup.shtml

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So am I the only one in the world who feels more full the less carbs I have? Is this me being weird again?

Oh I agree that soup is filling :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The satiety index mentioned above is discussed in one of Mendosas old blog posts (the paper isn't online). He has the full table. It wasn't potatoes that had the highest rating , it was boiled potatoes, chips had far less impact on fullness and crisps were very poor.
http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I agree that crisps are very poor, so at least I'm not weird there then.:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So am I the only one in the world who feels more full the less carbs I have? Is this me being weird again?

Oh I agree that soup is filling :)

Nope. You are not the only one.

I find protein and fat much more satisfying.
Carbs fill me up, then empty quickly and leave me looking for more a short time later.
Carbs and fats leave me feeling stuffed (overstuffed), and in excess quantities make me physically sick.

I stopped eating bread pizza the second time I woke up at 2am, with vomit demanding exit. the first time I had guessed it was a tummy bug. the second time, I knew it was the pizza. My body just rejected that fat+carb combo. No such consequence with low carb pizza. :happy:

On the other hand, steak and hollandaise sauce seems to be an effortless digest, and will stave off hunger pangs for up to 24 hours (depending on the size of the steak ;))

Reactions: 12 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope. You are not the only one.

On the other hand, steak and hollandaise sauce seems to be an effortless digest, and will stave off hunger pangs for up to 24 hours (depending on the size of the steak ;))

:hungry:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some foods can more easily contribute to the feeling of fullness (satiety) than others, and this is referred to as their "satiating power". The calorie-counting tables, used widely by slimmers and the weight conscious, do not necessarily reflect this satiating power and studies examining the effects of foods on "feelings of fullness" can be helpful. In one study of 38 common foods, both men and women subjects consumed foods with equal calorie contents and their feelings of fullness were recorded every 15 minutes for 2 hours. Highest satiating power was found with high levels of protein, dietary fibre and water and low satiating power was related to higher fat foods. Fruit and vegetables-especially boiled potatoes-proved to have high satiating values, whereas bakery products like cakes, croissants and biscuits were the least satiating foods. Protein-rich foods (fish, meat, baked beans, lentils and eggs) and carbohydrate-rich foods (pasta, rice, wholegrain breads and cereals) were among the most satiating foods.

The large number of different factors that affect appetite and food intake complicates studies in the area of hunger and satiety. In addition to food types, satiety ratings and palatability, social settings, customs, education levels, income, serving sizes and even mood are just some of the factors that can affect food intake and body weight. Scientists are still working on unravelling all of the factors influencing what we eat and why.

I'd disagree with some of that and some of the context. I'd look at lentils and beans as much as a carbohydrate food as a protein source

I tend to find the refined carbs (rice, cereals, pastries, potatoes) least satiating. After all what is a potato other than hydrated starch?

Non-refined grains, vegetables, fruits - i.e. those with intact fibre much more so.

Then it gets a bit more complex as you start adding combinations of food in reality, so pasta, on it's own, not so much, but have a fat and protein rish sauce, maybe with some vegetables as well and that changes things.

Eggs, meat, cheese, nuts, seeds, and dare I say it chocolate bars like a nice snickers all work for me.

As for the water, I've seen an experiement where people took essentially the same meal, in one case it was turned into a soup and in the other they ate it as the solid food. Those that ate the soup were hungry earlier, as the stomach emptied quicker, and the implication was also that the act of chewing triggered something in the brain chemistry as well. So while a glass of water immediately before a meal may make you eat less, the experiment would imply that it's due to stomach volume, not satiety. I've just had two pints of water straight down after a decent ride this afternoon, didn't touch the sides

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd disagree with some of that and some of the context. I'd look at lentils and beans as much as a carbohydrate food as a protein source

I tend to find the refined carbs (rice, cereals, pastries, potatoes) least satiating. After all what is a potato other than hydrated starch?

Non-refined grains, vegetables, fruits - i.e. those with intact fibre much more so.

Then it gets a bit more complex as you start adding combinations of food in reality, so pasta, on it's own, not so much, but have a fat and protein rish sauce, maybe with some vegetables as well and that changes things.

Eggs, meat, cheese, nuts, seeds, and dare I say it chocolate bars like a nice snickers all work for me.

As for the water, I've seen an experiement where people took essentially the same meal, in one case it was turned into a soup and in the other they ate it as the solid food. Those that ate the soup were hungry earlier, as the stomach emptied quicker, and the implication was also that the act of chewing triggered something in the brain chemistry as well. So while a glass of water immediately before a meal may make you eat less, the experiment would imply that it's due to stomach volume, not satiety. I've just had two pints of water straight down after a decent ride this afternoon, didn't touch the sides
Why is a potato refined carbs?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

I find the satiety index study (http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm) rather useless for me. There are only 3 things on that list of 38 foods that are part of my current diet: cheese, eggs, and beef. And I'm certainly not about to start eating a plate of boiled potatoes for breakfast! I'll stick with my bacon and eggs.

Reactions: 3 people