Banning snacking on public transport....

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The BBC have done a vox pop survey of this one, and everyone asked, including a train station employee, thought it was a silly, unenforceable idea. I expect it’ll be returned to 1984 or April 1st. I was quite looking forward to having an ‘I need to eat NOW!’ meltdown.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The article, especially the headline, is just click bait for the gullible.

As already noted, "public transport" hasn't been clearly defined.
It does, of course, include air travel, sleeper trains, cross Chanel ferries and many other long journeys where the passengers need to eat.
Any journey over, say, three hours is likely to require food for the average traveller.

There is also no explanation about how preventing adults from eating on a journey will tackle childhood obesity.

IMHO the problem is the type of highly processed food easily available which encourages over eating.
However to change this would require taking on the food manufacturers and retailers who are a massive and influential lobby group.

Governments these days like to offload responsibility to 3rd parties so they don't have to do anything themselves.
Childhood obesity?
Make the drivers on busses a new police force, and if it doesn't work it is their fault.
I wonder how they are going to enforce this on the newer trains where there is only a driver, no guard?
Zero hours contract food police?

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The BBC have done a vox pop survey of this one, and everyone asked, including a train station employee, thought it was a silly, unenforceable idea. I expect it’ll be returned to 1984 or April 1st. I was quite looking forward to having an ‘I need to eat NOW!’ meltdown.

Good to know...I read some rather dismissive comments about why on earth people might need to eat for a medical condition (!!!)
Find it bad enough getting side eye from people on the tube when I scan libre or when pump alarms so fingers crossed we won't be expected to hold up a card, wear a light or sport a fetching tattoo on our foreheads anytime soon!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
PEPPERS BEING USED TO BULK OUT FOOD ASSUMING THAT EVERYONE LIKES THEM!!
Hi. People who try to implement these ridiculous rules haven’t got a clue. I’m also fed up with people banding both types of diabetics into the same bracket. Type 1 is autoimmune and can’t be cured by diet and reduced sugars etc. Really annoying

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This idea was in the final report of chief medical officer Dame Sally Davies. My guess is that it was her last chance to be on TV before retiring.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And here she is..
Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 19.06.10.png

So "junk" foods are high in fat.. sounds like a traffic light supporter and we all know how stupid that system is...

M

Member496333

The article, especially the headline, is just click bait for the gullible.

Indeed, but never underestimate the stupidity of humans. I don't think any of us think this about to happen next week, but when prominent and influential figures start spouting this sort of ridiculous claptrap it's time to start being afraid. Very afraid.

M

Member496333

Hi. People who try to implement these ridiculous rules haven’t got a clue. I’m also fed up with people banding both types of diabetics into the same bracket. Type 1 is autoimmune and can’t be cured by diet and reduced sugars etc. Really annoying

And on the other side of the coin, being labelled fat and lazy because you're type 2 isn't much fun either. Especially when you're not fat. Or lazy :D

Reactions: Daphne917

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

There is more than just "two" types of diabetes.. & indeed a variety of combinations regarding the BG management too...

Reactions: lessci and HSSS

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First perhaps they should ban junk food advertising on public transport and lower the demand! In terms of getting dirty looks etc, why can't people simply ask, educating more people can only help. And I would be happy to man one of the sniper towers.......

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I appreciate the point you’re making about your own frustrations - type 2 isn’t “cured” by diet either. It’s managed by it, for some.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
My concern would be that they start issuing fines or conductors, driver etc are given the power to force you off the bus, train etc. Just great in the middle of a hypo !!!

D

Deleted member 308541

My concern would be that they start issuing fines or conductors, driver etc are given the power to force you off the bus, train etc. Just great in the middle of a hypo !!!
I have seen people put off of the tilt train by the train staff between Bundy and Brisbane, because they did not have the required student id to match their concessional train fare price.

It's not if they are going to be put off in the middle of Woop Woop they were outed at Gympie railway station.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First perhaps they should ban junk food advertising on public transport and lower the demand! In terms of getting dirty looks etc, why can't people simply ask, educating more people can only help. And I would be happy to man one of the sniper towers.......
TFL did try that and because the legal definition of junk food as high in fat, sugar and or salt it resulted in stawberries and cream being banned which was not what the middle class bureaucracy had in mind...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen people put off of the tilt train by the train staff between Bundy and Brisbane, because they did not have the required student id to match their concessional train fare price.

It's not if they are going to be put off in the middle of Woop Woop they were outed at Gympie railway station.
Is that an improvement in your view:p

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
It won't help childhood obesity , because the second a child gets off the train they can just go in a shop and buy stuff.
I don't like where this is going , our right to eat what we want is our right not anyone else's .
They stopped people smoking in pubs but they just go outside and smoke , and they even have shelters for the smokers, so it didn't stop them .

It's a stupid idea and takes away our human rights .

M

Member496333

It won't help childhood obesity , because the second a child gets off the train they can just go in a shop and buy stuff.
I don't like where this is going , our right to eat what we want is our right not anyone else's .
They stopped people smoking in pubs but they just go outside and smoke , and they even have shelters for the smokers, so it didn't stop them .

It's a stupid idea and takes away our human rights .

Not to mention that "we" keep telling people not to consume fat or meat, thus leaving only carbohydrate, which is fattening. The entire world of nutritional guidelines and associated public policy is a comedy at this stage.

Reactions: Evie-D

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
In the 3rd largest city in Australia, they have the same laws only stricter, no drinking as well and by no drinking I mean all liquids including water. They have transit police that frequently walk through the trains and a lot of CCTV, so enforcement is not a problem, the only way I have seen people get out of a hefty fine, is they 'can't' speak English, well at least while the transit cops are talking to them. I guess if you can't control your Diabetes with a few jelly beans, you will need to find alternate modes of transport. I doubt this has anything to do with health and wellbeing, it's about reducing the cleaning bill for the trains, however in their marketing research they will have found they can more easily get the public to accept it, if it's about health.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In the 3rd largest city in Australia, they have the same laws only stricter, no drinking as well and by no drinking I mean all liquids including water. They have transit police that frequently walk through the trains and a lot of CCTV, so enforcement is not a problem, the only way I have seen people get out of a hefty fine, is they 'can't' speak English, well at least while the transit cops are talking to them. I guess if you can't control your Diabetes with a few jelly beans, you will need to find alternate modes of transport. I doubt this has anything to do with health and wellbeing, it's about reducing the cleaning bill for the trains, however in their marketing research they will have found they can more easily get the public to accept it, if it's about health.
That is bad news. Diabetics have a right to eat when they need to regarding hypos etc. A discrimination case in the making methinks if transit police get too antsy.!!