Banting eating plan

JIB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The Banting is High fat no carbs. The book is not available in UK only in South Africa. I quit sugar by Sarah Wilson is very similar. has anyone tried this and had any sucess?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL!
Your post header brought back some lovely memories of my step grandmother:) She never "went on a diet" but always said "I'm banting" :)

Apparently, that is what it was called when she was a lass, to lose weight !

Signy

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i would think "no" carb would be very difficult, but if you can manage it, what the hey, carbs are poison (opinion)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you mean the Banting diet 1864, it's freely available online.
In the first edition his basic diet is :
14 oz of meat poultry, game or fish (except salmon and pork), 3-4 slices of dried toast or rusk , small amounts of fruit, 2-3 glasses of claret, sherry or madeira at dinner, another glass or two of claret with supper and a nightcap of another couple of glasses of wine or a tumbler of grog made with whisky, gin or brandy but no sugar.
no butter, milk, sugar, beer, and potatoes,
In a latter appendix he prohibits other starchy veg, says green veg are ok as are non hard boiled eggs and rice.
The Victorian gentleman's low(ish) carb, lowish calorie, high protein and high alcohol diet. It works out as just over 2000 calories but 44% of the calories are from alcohol
https://archive.org/details/letteroncorpulen00bant

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
<snip>
The Victorian gentleman's low(ish) carb, lowish calorie, high protein and high alcohol diet. It works out as just over 2000 calories but 44% of the calories are from alcohol
https://archive.org/details/letteroncorpulen00bant

Struggling to see the down side at the moment :)

A very traditional friend used the term 'Banting' about our LCHF diet a few weeks back so we went and looked it up.
I have kept meaning to post about it, but checked first and found this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Banting makes interesting reading.

"William Banting (c. December 1796 – 16 March 1878),[1][2] was a notable English undertaker. Formerly suffering from obesity, he is also known for being the first to popularise a weight loss diet based on limiting intake of refined and easily digestible carbohydrates.[3] He undertook his dietary changes at the suggestion of Soho Square physician Dr. William Harvey, who in turn had learnt of this type of diet, but in the context of diabetes management, from attending lectures in Paris by Claude Bernard.[3][4]"

Note especially "..in the context of diabetes management."

Presumably further detailed research will find people back another few centuries who championed LCHF back to the point where there weren't enough bulk carbs and everyone lived mainly on protein, fats, fruits and greens.

Cheers

LGC