Barenaked Rice looks rather too good to be true?

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At just 1.1g carbs for a serving of 'rice' could fill a gap. Customer reviews are positive, though warn that the ingredients need thorough washing before use to take away the 'fishy' smell :wideyed:

Wondering if anyone has used them? They do noodles and spaghetti too.

Their claim to fame: as seen on The Dragon's Den.

upload_2020-8-24_12-42-59.png

Reactions: Chook

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At just 1.1g carbs for a serving of 'rice' could fill a gap. Customer reviews are positive, though warn that the ingredients need thorough washing before use to take away the 'fishy' smell :wideyed:

Wondering if anyone has used them? They do noodles and spaghetti too.

Their claim to fame: as seen on The Dragon's Den.

View attachment 43518
The amazon reviews are hardly positive
Overall 3.7 with 21% 1 star

Reactions: JenniferM55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've tried all three and they definitely need very good rinsing before being eaten because it has a strange unpleasant fishy smell. Its funny stuff - it gives you bulk while you eat it but doesn't keep you feeling satisfied at all and sauces don't cling to it. Cheapest place I found it was Sainsbury's. I couldn't get on with the rice (prefer cauliflower rice) but the noodles were okay to bulk out stir fry and the spaghetti was actually quite good with a meaty Bolognese sauce.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried all three and they definitely need very good rinsing before being eaten because it has a strange unpleasant fishy smell. Its funny stuff - it gives you bulk while you eat it but doesn't keep you feeling satisfied at all and sauces don't cling to it. Cheapest place I found it was Sainsbury's. I couldn't get on with the rice (prefer cauliflower rice) but the noodles were okay to bulk out stir fry and the spaghetti was actually quite good with a meaty Bolognese sauce.
Have you tried Oomi noodles? I don't like the Naked noodles but the Oomi ones are not bad.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Barenaked rice contains as much rice as cauliflower rice - none!
It looks as if it is mainly kojac noodles chopped into small pieces.
That's exactly what it is, personally not keen on using as rice or pasta replacement (prefer Cauli rice. Courgetti) but as noodles in a stir fly I think they make a decent replacement, I've never had a problem with the smell, just a quick rinse under running water, then again I like very smelly cheese :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you tried Oomi noodles? I don't like the Naked noodles but the Oomi ones are not bad.

No, I've never been able to find them in this area. I would like to though.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I've never been able to find them in this area. I would like to though.
I get mine from Sainsbury's, they are hidden in the chilled stir-fry section but the bright yellow pack helps.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I get mine from Sainsbury's, they are hidden in the chilled stir-fry section but the bright yellow pack helps.

Thank you for that :)

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've used both rice and noodles and they are both OK, better in my opinion than "cauliflower rice" or courgette spirals which I loath. You have to rinse them but that doesn't take long.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried a variety of similar stuff and to be honest I find them all a bit meh. They are almost tasteless so it gets me wondering why I bother, these days I would rather have more of what's on top or less of the real thing. x

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've bought a pack of konjac rice from Amazon. The same price for 200 grams as 2 kilos of Basmati in Morrisions (that makes over 4 kilos once hydrated) but I suppose there's more involved to making it, and greater expense in producing for a niche. I haven't tried it yet. The packet says you've got to drink lots of water with it, so I have visions of it swelling in my stomach like that expanding foam that you use to fill wall cavities.

It will get used at some point, though. And if it's any good, I'll be buying more for when I go to my friend's for curry night. I'll probably stick with frozen (Iceland) cauli rice for general use, but one of the nice things about this is that, as long as I keep the packet sealed, it doesn't need refrigerating.

I got really good BS results from boiling basmati for 5 minutes, draining and rinsing thoroughly with cold water, and then continuing cooking. Though I've only done it once, so I need to repeat the experiment to be confident it wasn't a fluke.

Reactions: KK123

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t use them myself but Lidl have an equivalent product to oomi noodles. Stored near the smoked salmon. I believe @maglil55 has tried them.