Bariatric consultation

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I went for a consultation last week to discuss bariatric surgery with the local team of experts. I am pretty borderline for consideration with a BMI of just under 39 but of course have a co-morbidity, being diabetes. I already attempt to follow a calorie and carb controlled diet and even when doing it very strictly with plenty of exercise, didn't lose so much as a gram.

A very interesting discussion ensued with the consultant who informed me I had an atypical body type for a diabetic in that I am a pear and not an apple, the slow heart rate of somebody that obviously takes plenty of exercise and generally in very good health. She also said that if measurements were being based on hip to waist ratios I wouldn't even be sitting there and on returning home and measuring and googling, I only just fall outside of an excellent hip/waist ratio! All very uplifting to be told by an endocrinologist that I didn't really need to be sat there, but it still doesn't sort the social stigma of being "big" and the utter inability to purchase clothes for my body shape.

So then I saw the dietician and they like you to lose 10% of your body weight so for the next 8 weeks I am to follow a 1200 calorie and restricted carb diet. Tbh this is no different to what I was doing last year when I was seeing a different endo to try and sort my spiking levels but it didn't result in any weight loss so that is worrying me for sure.

Both the endo and dietician told me I am the hardest sort of person to help to lose weight, don't I know it, that is why I was sat there in the first place. I am sick of reading of people low carbing, upping exercise and the stones dropping off when it makes not an iota of difference to me. In fact, neither of them could figure out the following - having had 2 lots of knee surgery last year and done less exercise this last 6 months than ever before, and with Christmas just gone past, I have mysteriously dropped 1.5 kg since last October!

Anyway, they are willing to work with me and see me again after 8 weeks to see how the diet has gone so at least I am now getting some professional input. We were somewhat at odds with me reluctant to accept spikes in my levels from the foods they want me to eat having finally got things under control and my HBA1C at an acceptable level. They assure me that short term it isn't dangerous to my health. I can't find any links to scientific data about what levels and length of spikes cause harm or otherwise. So, the journey begins, be interesting to see how it unfolds.

She told me I am extremely unlucky to be diabetic and that it is highly unlikely to be lifestyle related but genetic, she also said it is unlikely to improve with weight loss which is something of a blow if I am honest. Again, you read of people losing it overnight once surgery has been done but they don't think that is going to happen to me, hmmm. I have reached a difficult decision to try and find my blood parents because I really want some family history medical questions answered. I have set the wheels in motion on that one........... watch this space.

Ali

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Lonely in here...... 67 hits and not a single comment.

Ali

elljay

Hi Ali,
Seems like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
You certainly have a tough time ahead and I can only say I truly hope it all works out for you.
I know the heartache of not knowing all about your family and that alone is a very big issue so whatever you do don,t beat yourself up if you do not drop the weight hun.
Maybe we should design our own fashions :D I can never find clothes to fit me either and if I do I look like I am either pregnant or trying to look like a marquee !
Good luck

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Elljay, thank you for replying. Yes it is a bit of an uphill battle isn't it and after 5 days I hadn't dropped an ounce which is really disheartening.

I agree about clothes, why do shops ignore the larger lady? Why do they see us as an embarrassment? I see they are shutting Evans in Cribbs Causeway, great! They have either been closed or put in as concessions with a tiny range available. I just give up.

Ali

elljay

Hi Ali,

I find the online or catalogues by post my best bet with clothes now
At least they have clothes that are designed to those under 90 !
Wish I could sew my own.

Start a new diet today ..... just like I did yesterday and the day before :(

Keep going forward Ali, one day at a time.

Ell

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ell, I find the quality of Simply Be etc has gone downhill in recent years. Sooooo frustrating.

Ali

Reactions: Nooch1

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ali and elljay

You can buy Evans online, Marks and Spencer (limited larger sizes though), Ambrose Wilson, Daxon,, Damart - I would be totally lost without online shopping, due to other health issues I have found it difficult to go out shopping and have been regularly shopping online for over 10 years now.

Jude :wink:

Finzi

I'm another fan of online catalogues -I use JD Williams a lot. I've never been keen on Simply Be, although I've got a couple of nice dresses from them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

walterrichmand

There are many people who focus heavily on the different side effects that can come along with weight loss surgical procedures. One of the things that many overweight people deal with is diabetes and high blood pressure. The good news is that losing weight can help to lessen the severity of these issues and even get rid of them altogether.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know an old thread but are you still receiving e-mails @elljay . Hope you get back in touch. I'm interested in if you went ahead with bariatric surgery?