BASAL ADJUSTMENT QUERY

Blackadder

Hi,

I am on levemir 18 at 10pm and 12 at 10am. When I goto bed my B/S is around 5 and I awake on 4 or just under which is fine. If I then don't eat anything by lunch my BS will be around 8 or higher, the only way round this seemingly is to take 4 novorapid at brekkie and eat no carb food or nothing, which is ok but can sometimes cause a low. Around 3pmto 4pm my BS drops taking me from in the 4's to early 3's and beyond if I don't snack then.

I am low carbing and my BS's are pretty good generally it's just these two spikes that I need to resolve.

I am sure I require an adjustment to my BASAL but not sure quite what to do?

Anyone with any thoughts would be much appreciated please.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Do you think you have been hypo in your sleep? You seem to be running awfully low. A non diabetic has bsl's above yours. I know I shouldn't make this comment to a low carber but I wonder how you can live a normal life/drive a car safely.

Ok ... I'm ready for the backlash.

Jen.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Blackadder,

It's possible that the rise is being caused by your lack of breakfast, rather than any gap in your basal.

Whenever I've tried to skip breakfast in the past, I've notice significant rises (4-5mmol/l) within an hour of getting up.

Regards,
timo.

sophsmam

timo
why does that happen i wondered this last week,our daughter could wake up check her b/s 30 0r 45 mins later gone up by 2 or 3 mmol/l. i thought that was because she needed her insulin.becasue she is back at school ive tried to do her breakfast a bit later,so its more nearer to her break when she would check her b/s and have her snack.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hello,

I'm finding that in the morning I have to increase the amounts of short acting insulin I take. That means that where I would take 5 units for the carbs at lunch at breakfast I have to take 7-8 units for exactly the same amount of carbs. I think this is a metabolic thing where my body is coming out of sleep, rather than a liver dump or the dawn phenomenon.

The lows you are getting at 3-4 seem to be the time at which your Levemir is kicking in to full strength. Are you eating breakfast at 10:00 am when you take the morning Levemir? I take mine at 8:00 am and 8:00 pm and tend to eat after both so tend to cover any lows following that. Obviously, I need to balance the bolus injection to take into account the background insulin levels and whatever I'm eating, but maybe that would help?

I would say increase your bolus at breakfast and reduce it at lunch, or change the timing of the basal so that it comes before your morning and evening meal.

If you are getting up at 10:00 am then I am jealous ... :cry: