Basal insulins

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Any one use a basal insulin that is not levemir/lantus/tresiba as having real problem controlling bgs .The first two mentioned dont work for me and tresiba too expensive for glos so any ideas

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
There's the Isophanes or insultard insulin's you could try.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Been to DNS today and shes suggested insuman basal twice daily but is going to check it out with my other meds and let me know. Is this a good one anyone know ????

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you could always try an insulin pump where the quick acting insulin is used as basal....;).....

probably best to try out the other injectable ones first though....

I would say all insulin's are worth a shot, if you find certain ones don't agree with you......

so good luck with it....

what were the issues with Lantus & Levemir?

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
you could always try an insulin pump where the quick acting insulin is used as basal....;).....

probably best to try out the other injectable ones first though....

I would say all insulin's are worth a shot, if you find certain ones don't agree with you......

so good luck with it....

what were the issues with Lantus & Levemir?
Levemir like water to me and Lantus seized my ankles up (bizzare)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What do you mean like water, as in didn't have any effect on blood sugar?

that is strange.......

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
exactly that could use a whole cartridge with no effect (bit exaggerated)but sort of true

Odran

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Borderter, As guys above mentioned hopefully you find a suitable Insulin. Just an important point you mentioned; Levemir had little effect. Do you try to keep quite active exercise wise? Keeping active is very important for everyone to keep healthy, but a great thing is if you exercise, your sensitivity to Insulin improves and so a smaller amount of Insulin is needed to reduce blood sugar levels. Best of Luck. Also an Insulin pump uses no Long acting Insulin, so if rapid acting Insulin works you get great control on a pump.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't understand why they don't try Tresiba if the others didn't work? it's still much cheaper than going to a pump.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
After seeing consultant he asked panel of consultants for Tresiba for me but at that meeting they asked what my hba1c was 6 years ago and it was good then ! they said she was on levemir then with good results but I wasnt as it was so useless just controlled myself well on basal alone of course my notes said levemir as had been prescibed it even though i didnt take it .The end result is taking it for four months to see how hba1c is then and if no better they will reconsider so now I am eating as little as possible while seeing bgs rising .Mad that old results were used as as experts they all know diabetes is a progressive disease and have had bypass 2 years ago which reall jolted the endocrine system and have seen hba1c rise 14 points since then
Odrin excercise levels are very good with two active terriers and no car so shopping etc is all on foot but its a valid point for diabetics:)