basal rates when clock changes

johnny37

Sorry if this sounds naive but when the time on the pump is put back one hour do the hourly rates all have to be put back as well to match the new time slots? Ive never heard it talked about in training but it seems a logical reaction.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I recently adjusted the time on my pump, but left everything else the same. The body may take a few days to catch up though so would not change anything else in the short term.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

johnny37

my bg has been all over the place since Sunday (lowest 2.6 highest 19). Just wondered if that was the reason.

iHs

Usually when the clocks change, I always end up having problems with my bg levels, mainly because I have a different basal rate running for every hour. So my midnight basal rate (old time) becomes my 11pm basal rate which on the old time was different to my midnight one. My body doesn't know about the time change, it only knows that I need a certain amount of insulin at the time that I need it.

The only real way of getting around it all is to do another basal rate test and adjust all the basal rates using the new time. I have cheated a bit and not done one as I am waiting for the weather to get much colder so for the time being I have just adjusted the time by 30mins on the pump as that hasn't affected me that much.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just alter time on pump when you have two similar hours of basal rates together. People travel all round the world with pumps and having to change time zones etc. Dont make it more complicated than it is.....