Basal rates

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys
Wondered if someone can clear up some confusion I am having with regards to basal rates. I know the purpose of he basal rate is to keep you bg level in between meals etc
I have got to the point where my bg overnight is a flat line, last night I sat around 9.5, night before 8.4. My question is, do I increase my basal overnight to bring the line down as such, or do I need to look at my meal time bolus for that to bring me into normal range, so that will allow my basal to keep my blood glucose within target?
Hope this makes sense!
Thanks in advance
Nikki

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Your basal is exactly that - supposed to keep you flat. If you have attained that when fasted then you need to looks at whether your insulin:carb ratio is correct, and consider a correction dose if necessary.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I would speak to your diabetic clinic nurse about this, they will sit down with you and work out all your levels correctly. I am currently trying to get my levels lower since starting on my first ever pump on Monday of this week. :) I keep calling my DSN to discuss my levels and see what needs 'tweaking'. :) Hope you get sorted soon, not nice running too high.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi guys
Wondered if someone can clear up some confusion I am having with regards to basal rates. I know the purpose of he basal rate is to keep you bg level in between meals etc
I have got to the point where my bg overnight is a flat line, last night I sat around 9.5, night before 8.4. My question is, do I increase my basal overnight to bring the line down as such, or do I need to look at my meal time bolus for that to bring me into normal range, so that will allow my basal to keep my blood glucose within target?
Hope this makes sense!
Thanks in advance
Nikki

No leave your night-time basal rate alone if it's fine and keeps your bg levels flat, you need to work on getting your pre-bed bg levels down if your averaging around 8 - 9.5mmol/l, it might be that your early evening basal needs adjusting, your I:C ratio or your miscalculating the carb content of your evening meal, I'd start with a basal test, have a late lunch and test your bg levels up to 9-10 pm and work from there.

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure it was clear in my head. My problem often is that I am unable to eat until late in the evening and then go to bed. Great advice RE testing......will get started ASAP! Thanks again x