Basal Testing

phil55494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
As I've now been on a pump for a couple of weeks I decided I should try a basal test. Taking the easy route I thought I'd go with a morning test - like everyone I don't like the idea of needing to get up every couple of hours overnight to test.
Before bed 23:05 12.5mmol/l - correct with some insulin
Overnight 3:24 6.1mmol/l - correction seemes to have worked
On waking 6:49 7.5mmol/l - seems fair enough
Arrival at the office 9:00 14.7mmol/l - What the ****!, wash hands and retest 14.2

No food has been eaten, I've only had a shower and got myself to the train and then the office.
Now either my basal is completely screwed or I screwed up the test. I did disconnect the pump for about half an hour while in the shower. Could that have been the problem?

Any ideas?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No the half hour disconnect would not have caused that rise, though it's still not a good idea during a basal test, and you should do a bolus before or after for the missed basal insulin. It's possible however that you failed to reconnect the pump properly or failed to resume the pump if you suspended it.

Otherwise that's a hard result to explain. As a one off I wouldn't even bother trying to explain it. Just try again another day.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people