Battery life

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I've just had to change the battery in my pump. Just occured to me, it's the first time I've had to do it and the pump has been running for almost exactly 1 year! Amazing.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Must have been Duracell! :lol:

Nigel

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
lol! Energizer Lithium actually :lol:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wow, that's good!!! Had my remote go dead on me again last week without warning, it did it twice on me before and Accuchek agreed to swop remote over.

I've only had to swop batteries once since August on pump and that was under advice from Accuchek when I was getting a serious amount of occlusions everyday. So I haven't as yet had any warning for pump batteries to be replaced.

How often have you changed the battery cover on the pump?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
just once, about 20 mins ago! I did think about swapping it but it's clean and I felt that unscrewing it would just create problems......should I do it more? I too had to swap my remote, I'm on my third which is finally working, the first 2 were awful and needed new batteries every 2 days!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't know how often the battery cover should be changed, I have also only changed adapter and battery cover once when advised to with all the occlusions that were happening.

sugar2

Different pumps, different advice given I think!

I have an accuchek combo, and was advised to change teh batteries and cover every 3 months. I don't do so religiously, but have to change teh handset ones frequently, as when the battery life starts to dip, so does my bluetooth connecntivity.
The pump did tell me that the battery needed changing once though...after about 4 months I think.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I changed my battery yesterday but didn't have a cover with me so tried to change it at home, but the existing cover got stuck. I tried to use the plastic tool the combo comes with and managd to snap 2, so used a screwdriver and damaged the cover! then used a penny followed by a 5p and still it wouldn't shift. I then called the helpline for advise and was told to use frozen peas to cool the area and try again. No joy. They then said I would have to send it back, they would remove it (it is a common problem apparently!) and then when I replaced the cover in future I wasn't to tighten it too much. Hmmmm, you think?! :lol: anyway, I took it to my machine toolshop at work today (I am lucky, I work with lots of engineers!) and someone managed to tap the cover off without damaging the pump. The fact I was stood over him with a very worried expression on my face and that I'd just told him how much the pump was worth prob did the trick :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good result Debloubed, hope you slipped him a fiver for his help. :)

Nigel

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
In true woman-in-a-mans-environment style Nigel, I fluttered my eyelashes and smiled sweetly! Seemed to do the trick :lol: :mrgreen: :wink: got told 'no problem darlin' ' in true east-end-factory-worker style, so all in all, it was quite the cliche! :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Debloubed said:
In true woman-in-a-mans-environment style Nigel, I fluttered my eyelashes and smiled sweetly! Seemed to do the trick :lol: :mrgreen: :wink: got told 'no problem darlin' ' in true east-end-factory-worker style, so all in all, it was quite the cliche! :lol:

Yeah you certainly know the way to a man's heart! :wink:

Nigel

iHs

Since getting my Combo last June I've had to get the handset replaced once because of the battery connections inside it causing BSD (black screen of death :evil: :lol: ). The second handset has been ok so far but you never know. The BSD always happened when I was out so fiddling about taking the batteries out and then re inserting them again did the trick but was a complete PITA. :roll:

It's possible for the screw thread on the battery cover for the pump to get jammed up over time with body sweat especially if it's seldome unscrewed.

Now that it's off you might be able to put some vaseline around the top edge of the screw thread using a [b]minute[/b] amount from the edge of a cocktail stick. Thinking about it a bit more though, pencil lead would be ideal as that is a good lubricant.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
iHs said:
Now that it's off you might be able to put some vaseline around the top edge of the screw thread using a [b]minute[/b] amount from the edge of a cocktail stick. Thinking about it a bit more though, pencil lead would be ideal as that is a good lubricant.

Good tip for next time, although I am hoping there won't be a next time! According to the help line, you only have to screw the cover on so it's falt to the pump, no need to tighten it up so will give that a go and see how I get on......