BBC News today regarding a years aim to reduce calories in children's favourite foods.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Crazy old world we're living in. I think they may be on to something though people are over weight because they tend to eat too much, bring back the ration book. And have food Gestapo in every MacDonald's.

You could get arrested for being possession of a deadly doughnut with intent to eat.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Crazy old world we're living in. I think they may be on to something though people are over weight because they tend to eat too much, bring back the ration book. And have food Gestapo in every MacDonald's.

You could get arrested for being possession of a deadly doughnut with intent to eat.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, on the lunch time TV news the idea is to reduce the fat content by a certain percentage. No mention of carbohydrate.

Reactions: Freema

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they may be on to something though people are over weight because they tend to eat too much

I have always wondered who the average kcal intake has been based on for men and women. As someone who is 6'1" and a healthy weight the 2500 they quote is too high for me (and seems a lot of food too!). Especially as we seem to be getting ever more sedentary as a society (prevalence of office jobs etc.).

Yes, on the lunch time TV news the idea is to reduce the fat content by a certain percentage. No mention of carbohydrate.

It still seems to be in the media's interest to demonise fat at almost every opportunity. What will they replace the lost fat content with I wonder? :rolleyes:

Reactions: donnellysdogs

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cutting down on the portions size is fine, they've done this with chocolate bars but there's nothing stopping someone from buying two of them.

As ever education is the key, if children learnt to cook from scratch they'd be less reliant on fast/processed food when they were older (and would hopefully pass on these skills to their own children).

How the government would police this (article says they'll legislate if the industry doesn't respond) I've no idea, you only have to look at the average high-street to see how many fast-food takeaways there is, it would be an impossible task and where would the money come.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cutting down on the portions size is fine, they've done this with chocolate bars but there's nothing stopping someone from buying two of them.

As ever education is the key, if children learnt to cook from scratch they'd be less reliant on fast/processed food when they were older (and would hopefully pass on these skills to their own children).

How the government would police this (article says they'll legislate if the industry doesn't respond) I've no idea, you only have to look at the average high-street to see how many fast-food takeaways there is, it would be an impossible task and where would the money come.

Don't you just end up with the same issue highlighted in your first paragraph if the government begins to legislate portion sizes (ie. just order 2 portions exacerbating the problem)? I wish I could find it but I remember reading a quote from a supermarket representative (I think it was Asda) responding to a piece on not reducing the sizes of ready meals and it was basically 'people will just buy two anyway'.

I personally know people who consider items from sharing menus at some fast food outlets a meal for one when they visit. It's a mindset issue and I wonder if we're now too far down the path of being able to have and expecting too much choice and availability at every turn (and not just limited to the food industry) as depressing a thought as that is.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find that when I have more fat I eat less later in the day. Hence I am not convinced about cutting down on fat.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I know that my husband snorts derisively at existing supermarket portions, "that piece of beef won't serve four...." etc

Reactions: hankjam

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Same old.... just wishful thinking that manufacturers are going to change without legislation.....
and as mentioned above.... is fat the issue when there is so much sugar about....

It's going to be down to the individual to figure it out and as we know getting reliable information on food and it's effects is not so easy.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It doesn't help, that many of the parents, especially the women I see in their 20's and 30's are quite over weight, always having their mobile stuck to their faces, unfortunately it has become a more lazy, sedentary society for many.
Also, so many fast food outlet's are opening up all the time and coffee shops too, online take away services, drive through's, walking about eating Greggs sausage rolls and pie's, people's shopping trolley's tell a lot too, it's never ending. Some food's used to be a treat in my family and in my friends and relative's too, but not now, it's a way of life to lot's of people. It's about changing people's attitudes and lifestyles, but in this techo world, with most things on tap, I feel it can only get much worse in this screwed up planet of ours.........................

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't you just end up with the same issue highlighted in your first paragraph if the government begins to legislate portion sizes (ie. just order 2 portions exacerbating the problem)? I wish I could find it but I remember reading a quote from a supermarket representative (I think it was Asda) responding to a piece on not reducing the sizes of ready meals and it was basically 'people will just buy two anyway'.

Precisely.

Can't remember which Mayor of New York it was who brought in the restriction on cup sizes available in fast-food restaurants in the city, they did this to stop people consuming too much sugary drinks as in Coke, Pepsi and such, but it wasn't very well thought out as in most fast-food outlets you can refill your cup as many times as you like :rolleyes:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I think they may be on to something though people are over weight because they tend to eat too much

So pleased you used the word "tend". I'm concerned that everyone gets lumped into the "eats too much" category when it's clearly not true for everyone.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I find that when I have more fat I eat less later in the day. Hence I am not convinced about cutting down on fat.
I am currently using a eating plan from hospital but having less carbs which leaves me with a fatty protein for before bed for a liver block (calories wise). As liver block is not a meal I'm still sticking to 3 meals a day too.
I'm doing 3units of fat or sugar plan. Orilstat tablet isn't advisable on not cutting your fat.
I'm still losing weight slowly and not hungry on a night.
In fact I feel forced to eat before bed to block liver output through night. Sometimes I forget to do it due to not being hungry.
Maybe I have underactive leptin? At mo.
When I take enough basal insulin to keep bgs 5s I don't get cravings or hunger! Once my bgs increase I get cravings, even for protein.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Precisely.

Can't remember which Mayor of New York it was who brought in the restriction on cup sizes available in fast-food restaurants in the city, they did this to stop people consuming too much sugary drinks as in Coke, Pepsi and such, but it wasn't very well thought out as in most fast-food outlets you can refill your cup as many times as you like :rolleyes:
In the past ive had to buy my 10yr old an adult meal as their kids portion was for a toddler.
Some restaurants do toddler, junior and mini meals to accomodate the satiety factor in children of all ages.
Mc Donalds don't do a meal I like. I don't like big portion of fries so have to order 2 meals then give away fries and bread. Luckily it's only once or twice a year!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It doesn't help, that many of the parents, especially the women I see in their 20's and 30's are quite over weight, always having their mobile stuck to their faces, unfortunately it has become a more lazy, sedentary society for many.
Also, so many fast food outlet's are opening up all the time and coffee shops too, online take away services, drive through's, walking about eating Greggs sausage rolls and pie's, people's shopping trolley's tell a lot too, it's never ending. Some food's used to be a treat in my family and in my friends and relative's too, but not now, it's a way of life to lot's of people. It's about changing people's attitudes and lifestyles, but in this techo world, with most things on tap, I feel it can only get much worse in this screwed up planet of ours.........................
Education for children must come from parents and school meals.
They get a sweet everyday. Carbs in their main meal too.
All I get when I complain is it's been oked by a dietician as the correct nutrients so a balanced meal. Yeh. Eatwell plate meal. Argh!!!
Children's hospital dietician approves school meals too but schools are recognising that children need help making healthy choices. All their food should be healthy choices, surely?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

So they need to ban multipack chocolates or crisps. I won't see the day.
All this kind of rubbish is cheaper than a meal for some families. Kids would rather have junk than a sit down meal.

Not many families sit around a table now either. Finger foods on the go is the new world. Even bosses don't supply enough eating area for all to sit down to a meal, even in huge insurance company purpose built restaurants inhouse.